Chapter 13 - Love & Sacrifice.

Hazel's P.O.V.

I had waited until nightfall just as Aslan instructed. Susan and Lucy were asleep in our tent. They had tried talking to me all day about what happened with Aslan and the witch, but I couldn't bring myself to tell them. I couldn't bring myself to tell anyone.

Peter had tried to talk to me after what happened, but I couldn't even bring myself to look at him. I told him to not worry about it, but he didn't believe me. He didn't say it, but I could tell that he didn't. I was just praying I wouldn't run into him on my way out. This was already hard enough.

As I put my staff over my shoulder, I heard stirring behind me. I spun around quickly, and saw Lucy flipping over on her other side in her sleep. I sighed in relief because the last thing I wanted to do was to explain everything to Lucy. My eyes fell on Susan and Lucy one last time before I walked out of our tent. It was dark and quiet outside with some centaurs walking around. Aslan and Marcel were in the woods waiting for me like they said they would. Marcel gave me a sad smile, which I returned. I started to walk over to them, but a voice behind me made me stop.

"Where are you going?"

My eyes shut tightly so the tears wouldn't just start spilling from my eyes. I took a deep breath before turning around. Peter stood a couple of feet away from me, and I let out a shaky sigh.

"You should be in bed." I told him, trying to make him leave so this wouldn't be hard. But knowing Peter, it wouldn't be that easy.

"You're really bad at hiding things, you know." He said with a slight laugh as he tried to lighten the mood. I could already tell by the tears building in his eyes that he knew I was leaving. It broke my heart.

"Some things are meant to be left hidden." I told him and he immediately shook his head.

"Not this." He told me as he walked over to me. He stopped in front of me and we were a couple of feet apart. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, but he grabbed both sides of my face and made me look at him.

"I need to protect Narnia. I need to protect your family." I finally said to him when my eyes finally had the courage to meet his.

"How are you protecting us when you're leaving?" He asked me, still so confused on why I was leaving. He didn't want me to leave, which made me heartbroken.

"Don't you see? I'm protecting you by leaving. Peter, this has to be done." I told him, but he took a step closer and he let out a shaky breath as he tried to hold back his tears.

"No, I can't let you go." He said to me quietly. Those words made my hands go up to his face, and his went down to my waist. I pressed my forehead against his, and he immediately relaxed against me.

"It's going to be okay." I whispered to him. My thumb lightly ran over his cheek, and his eyes closed as he relaxed against me.

"Please don't leave us. Please don't leave me." He begged. I bit my lip as I tried to keep my cries inside me, but it wasn't working out that well. I wiped my eyes quickly and I looked back up at him.

My hands pulled his face and I connected our lips. His lips immediately relaxed against mine and his arms wrapped fully around my waist. He didn't want to let go of me, and I didn't want to let go of him either. My hands went to the back of his neck and I pulled him closer. After a few moments, we pulled away slowly and I hugged him tightly. His head rested on my shoulder as he kept me close. I pulled away from the hug and looked at him one last time.

"Protect them, Peter. Keep them safe."

Before he could say anything, I pulled away from him and turned around to walk into the woods. Marcel and Aslan both had their eyes on me sadly, and I didn't even look at them as I walked past. The tears going down my face were unnoticed to me as we walked through the woods. The witch had finally gotten what she wanted, but she had to tear us away from the Pevensies to do it. Marcel and I accepted for only one reason, and that was to keep Edmund alive.