Too Good to be True

Usually, our conversations didn't go so well. It ended in one of us arguing about what we thought was right in our eyes. But this time, Reuben wanted to talk about something else. Ricardo's letter. I didn't think he knew about the letter. Ricardo had written about special secrets, things only shared between us. And his half of the stories died with him.

I was seated in the sitting room later that afternoon, in the most comfortable chair I had ever sat in. But for some reason, I couldn't sit still.

"Did Ricardo say anything to you about something he set aside, specially for you?" Reuben was leaning an arm on the fireplace mantel in the sitting room. It amazed me just how many rooms there were in my new home.

Reuben glanced about the trinkets on the mantel; photographs of relatives; jewels from Ricardo's many explorations; small golden dishes specked with glitter; an old music box was opened to reveal a couple small glass dolls, a man and a woman, dancing with each other. I wondered what song would play if you wound it up.

"No, not unless secret tunnels and rooms have anything to do with it," I replied, slightly hesitantly. I didn't know why my uncle was inquiring about the letter. Maybe he was more jealous than I made him out to be. I knew he was greedy. But I didn't even think about the desperate part of being greedy.

Reuben shook his head, "No, no," He pushed off of the fireplace and stuck his hands into his pockets while taking a few steps in my direction.

I took my finger and ran it down the side of a glass lamp and brought it back clean. This lamp almost looked as if it were untouched by dust and dirt. The maids did their job well.

"Well, then I'm afraid I can't help you," I told my uncle. "Unless of course, you have a less vague way of asking me where some historical treasure is." I rolled my eyes.

"Look," Reuben gave me a smile, which I noticed he was doing a lot lately. "All I would like to do, is offer you my help. When you do find something...unexpected and life changing, please don't hesitate to ask me for help."

"I will do that, absolutely," I said as I came to my feet. I turned and walked out of the sitting room, without another glance back. I wasn't about to sit there and be probed by my uncle about some hidden treasure that he probably wants all to himself.

I guess I was getting ahead of myself. He very well may have just been offering his help to me. But can you blame me for being suspicious? Reuben was never one to offer his help to anyone.

I found myself stepping out the back door of the palace, and into the last few hours of sunshine in the afternoon. The gardens were magnificent, and I realized I hadn't been back there yet. Trees lined pathways down the center and few on the sides, bushes and flowers grew up alongside the white brick paths. A couple statue figures stood in the center circles of flowerbeds, most of which were angels.

I folded my arms and waltzed down the stairs and into the garden, I could hear water running somewhere in the distance and birds chirping a tune above my head. I don't think I had ever been in a garden so beautiful before.

The wind tousled my hair as I turned about, walking down the long middle path that stretched far beyond and ended with a gate that led to a length of lawn, freshly cut and sweet smelling.

I had not gotten very far before I heard a clipping sound, I turned around to try and find where it was coming from when my foot caught on an upturned tile and I was sent flying over a short hedge wall!

 I was suddenly in the arms of a stranger.

"Careful there, Miss Waverly," A gentle voice, that was laced with an accent I knew was English, sounded ever so close to my ear. "I don't want to cut you."

I stood up on my own and turned to see a tall, dark haired man with a pair of clippers standing there, a worried expression on his face, but also very mischievous. His eyes were a deep brown, and I got lost in them instantly. I brushed off my pants and shirt with a huff.

"Well, next time don't go catching me like some fairytale prince," I grumbled, and to my surprise the man chuckled at me, stepping back to resume his clipping around a green tree-like bush.

The new stranger glanced over to me with a subtle twinkle in his eye and a smirk, "Running from someone are we?"

"No," I replied, folding my arms across my chest again. "Just needed some fresh air."

"Well, in my personal opinion, when someone says they need some 'fresh air' they're usually trying to escape something," He quit his cutting to physically quote "fresh air", then returned to it again.

"I guess you've met my uncle then," I casually strolled around the other side of the bush he was working on, admiring his nimble hands and quick movements.

The man tilted his head to look at me and shrugged, "Who hasn't? He's not someone you can successfully avoid when you're looking for a job."

"Reuben hired you?"

"Yes," He smirked as he clipped a few stray twigs away. "And I must say, it was no easy task."

I chuckled at his comment and came around the side to see him again. "You know my name," I said. "But I don't know yours."

"Ah! Legend's the name, m'lady," He stepped away to give me an exaggerated bow.

"Legend? As in 'myth'?" I held my hands back, resting at the small of my back.

Legend laughed as he got back to work, "No m'lady. As in the name." He watched me for a long time with a smirk resting on his lips.

I expected him to say something else, something witty and charming. But all he did was give me a kind wink. And it made me blush. I had to turn away so he wouldn't see it. Or I hoped he wouldn't see it. I never could tell if he caught it or not.

"So, how do you like living in Rose Palace so far? The workers are kind to you I hope? And the villagers," Legend asked me.

I laughed, "It's only been a few hours! I need time!"

Legend held his hands up and chuckled, "I'm just curious, that's all." He snipped a few more twigs and stood back with a satisfied sigh. "I'm sure living with your uncle Reuben is going to be difficult to get used to."

"Yeah, that's going to take a bit of training," I responded in a fake British accent that made Legend laugh. It was silly, light and almost childish. But it made him - I think - more attractive.

"I'm afraid I must retire for the afternoon, m'lady," Legend said with a smile. "I bid thee, adieu."

He gave me another mock bow and turned to grab a black back full of gardening tools. He threw his clipper inside and slung the bag over his shoulder with a glance back to me. I realized I was staring a tad too late and I blushed again when he smirked, sending another wink my way.

If I were to come up with another meaning for "legend" besides "myth" or "folks tale", it would be: too good to be true.