Chapter Fifteen

Amanda and I jumped out from the car and I locked it, the horn tooting softly and I shoved the key into the pocket of my jeans before walking to the garage door, sliding up the padlock and entering the garage code. The motor sputtered to life and the belt pulled the door upward. We walked in and to the door that lead inside the house, and I pressed the garage button that was attached to the wall, closing the door before Amanda and I walked inside.

Remembering my phone, I quickly walked to the front door and pulled it open to reveal a small cardboard box. I happily leaned down and picked it up, before walking back inside the house. Amanda watched me set the box down on the kitchen counter and grab a knife, cutting it open and revealing the new IPhone 5S concealed in its fancy container. I quickly pulled off the lid and beamed.

"So beautiful," I whispered and Amanda laughed at me.

"You’re pathetic," she said and I gestured for her to come closer. She raised a brow before hesitantly moving in my direction and I moved the phone in front of her face. She admired the shininess of it, the way the light bounced off the sleek, new surface. "So beautiful," she mimicked my earlier choice of words and I laughed lightly.

"You’re pathetic," I mocked her and she rolled her eyes playfully. I took my old phone from my pocket and realized I could just put everything from my old phone that was in the iCloud, onto my new phone. I hooked my new phone up to the iCloud and everything registered quickly. All my contacts appeared, including Luke’s, and I smiled before taking my old phone and stuffing it in a drawer with all my old electronics, including my DS I’d outgrown.

I tapped Luke’s contact happily and stared at the new conversation page with a light beam. 

Hey it’s Thalia. This is my new number’

I sent the text and a few moments later, the grey bubble popped up, signifying that Luke was responding. Amanda leaned over my shoulder and I let her, moving the phone so it was between us and we waited for an agonizing amount of time for the blonde boy to respond.

'Alright thanks :-) The 1D boys are finishing up. We'll be heading back to the hotel room soon.' Luke finally sent and I read it with a little smile.

'Amanda and I will be spending the night at my place.'

'Oh cool :-) I gotta go, gonna celebrate. Text you later?' Luke asked and I felt a little smile grow on my cheeks, the fact that after everything was surely over, Luke wanted to keep texting.

'Sure c: See ya.'

I put down my phone and I heard Amanda giggle over my shoulder. I turned to her curiously. “What?” I asked, my tone innocent and unexpecting of what was to come. 

"You totally like Luke," Amanda accused me.

"No, I don’t," I insisted, but Amanda had already made up her mind of how I apparently felt. I frowned lightly. "Let’s just put in a movie," I suggested.

"Oh, like camp rock? Where the girl falls in love with the popstar, and-"

"I was thinking more like The Hunger Games. No true love, fighting. Action. Normal stuff, not love," I said, shuddering at the word. I hated love. For something that was supposed to be light and fluffy, it sure was a menacing structure of letters.

"Alright, alright. You get the sodas and popcorn, I’ll start it up," she said and I nodded. I walked off to the kitchen and grabbed a popcorn bag from the panty. I tossed it in the microwave, and while it popped I grabbed us two rootbeers. When the popcorn was done popping, I poured the containments into a large bowl and walked out, where Amanda was on the main screen. "Hurry, I’m pressing start!" she declared and I sat next to her on the sofa, setting down our beverages and snacks while I cuddled up to a soft blanket.

I watched as the screen turned black and the movie started to play, but my mind kept glancing back at the accusation. Did I like Luke? 

The question tumbled in my mind rapidly as I tried to work my way around it. There were so many moments, time I felt like there was a spark, but maybe it was just a tinge of menace I got from being around someone loved by thousands of girls.

But, the night we shared half of a bed, and when he didn’t want me to leave at the hospital… did he maybe have a connection with me? Then I tossed a piece of popcorn in my mouth as my question was answered I must certainly did not have feelings for Luke Hemmings. 

That I would admit to….