|Chapter Eight|

Previously in The Secrets, The Lies: Wilmer is called down to the school by the Principal after Eddie had beaten up Scott and Lucas, telling them to shove it, he takes Eddie home with a two day suspension.

Two Months Later

Alaya sat at the head of the table surrounded by clusters of family and friends. A smile taking over her face that was bigger than anyone had seen on her in a long time. The small balls of fire that sat on the tips of the white candles blew in the wind before Alaya let out a big breath, within a split second the bright orange colour was replaced with one of black smoulder.

"Happy Birthday!" Everyone yelled, Demi stood to the side of Alaya with her arm linked with Wilmer's, they were all so happy to see Alaya happy on her birthday. Eddie was stood on the other side of his sister, Nia stood next to him.

Nia's phone began to ring as she looked to the caller ID, "I have to take this, sorry" She excused herself, walking over to the back door of the house. Eddie shrugged, walking over to get a piece of cake, not a lot of curiosity going through his mind when he picked up a plastic plate where the red velvet and pink icing cake sat, a white plastic fork to accompany it.

"This is so good!" Alaya exclaimed as she took a bite out of the cake, some of the white icing that spelt out 'Sixteen', getting stuck on her top lip before she chuckled and licked it off.

'I have to go' A text popped up on the lock screen on Eddie's phone. Looking around, he caught sight of Nia shoving her phone into her pocket and heading around to the side gate. "Where are you going?" He asked, catching up to his half-sister.

"That was the investigator that I hired, they found our Father!"

"What?"

"He works at the cinema on Tenth Street, he handles the online bookings"

"He's been in jail and works at a cinema?"

Nia shrugged, "Someone put in a good word for him, I guess"

"And you were going to see him now?" Nia nodded, "What were you planning on saying to him? I'm the daughter you had to put up for adoption when you went to jail and this is your son who you've never met?"

The confidence in Nia's eyes vanished as she thought about it for a moment, "I don't care, I'm not like you, I don't have a replacement Dad"

"Actually, you do, you've been adopted"

"I don't care, I'm going to see him and you can either come with me, or I'll go on my own"

"Fine" Eddie gave in, his curiosity overcoming him, "But I'm driving"

..

Arriving at the cinema, Eddie was the one with overpowering confidence now as Nia sat back nervously. "You're the one who wanted to leave my sisters birthday party for this, don't chicken out now" He teased,

The girl rolled her eyes, "Fuck off" She muttered, getting out of the car and slamming the door shut behind her.

"Hi, we're looking for two tickets to..." Nia glanced up to the board of movies quickly, "Fifty Shades Darker" She spat out, Eddie instantly saw the regret in her eyes as their Father raised his eyebrows.

"Wrong stand" Was all he mustered up. Dammit, we should have ordered online before coming, Eddie thought. Nia froze suddenly, not moving or saying anything. "Move along kids, I've got customers"

Eddie narrowed his eyes, feeling slightly offended but not taking it personally as this man didn't even know that his two children were stood in front of him.

"Do you have kids?" Nia asked, coming out of her state of momentary shock.

Nick's face dropped, "No"

"Are you sure?"

"If I give you your tickets here, will you leave me alone?"

Nia and Eddie glanced to each other, "I'm Eddie"

"Great, and I'm Nick"

"I'm Nia"

"Okay, this isn't group therapy, we don't need to go around..." The man trailed off as he came to a sudden realisation. His face softening for a moment before his eyes filled with anger, "You need to get the fuck out of here and never come back"

"Dad, please-"

Nia was cut off, "I'm not your Dad, sorry, you need to leave" Nick snapped, "Security! Please get these two out of here, they're harassing me!"

Security was quick to escort Eddie and Nia from the building, warning them not to come back into the building otherwise they'd have to call the police.

"What an asshole" Nia huffed, dumping herself in the passenger seat of the car.

Eddie rolled his eyes, "What'd you expect? There was always a possibility that he wasn't going to want to know us"

"Whatever" The girl, only a few months younger, muttered before placing her feet up on the dash board as Eddie drove them home.

It wasn't what either of them expected, but then again, they weren't even sure what they expected from it.