𝔰 𝔦 𝔵

At first, I went outside the walls, checking my stuff and just kind of letting my feet move me without knowing where I was going.

I didn't really have an intent, not even on leaving. Just that I needed to get out.

I sat at the pond, this time my back to it, forehead against the rough tree bark. I was breathing heavily.

How could he know? How in the hell did he find out? Why didn't he tell people? Did he? Are they waiting to ambush me? The whole guard? Why am I still alive? Do I fight back? What am I doing anymore?

Moaning in frustration, I rubbed my hands on my face.

Eventually, I got restless - there was no way I could sleep tonight - and I started back towards the wall.

What was I doing? I'm not too sure myself, but my feet apparently wanted to walk around the city again.

So why not enjoy it.

I got back to the farmhouse once again, and even at midnight, it was beautiful. All the lights were off, and yet it seemed to glow with all the bright fruits. The trees sat on the perimeter as well as an orchard, and apples, plums, oranges, and more hung on the branches.

Movement in my peripheral vision shocked me out of my dreamy state, and I looked to my right to catch sight of a black shape darting around a corner.

I would have been less aware of it if small cries weren't following it.

I darted from where I stood over to the corner, running incredibly fast - but not superhuman - around it and chasing the figure. Which I saw was chasing a small girl.

So close! I'm gonna have to do it!

I used my superhuman speed and got just a few inches closer, catching him off guard. He had been chasing the girl out of something driven and hadn't noticed me.

Jumping on his back, it sent us rolling and the little girl whimpered and cried, collapsing against the wall ahead where the only exit was to the left.

He snarled at me and I pinned him by his arms, face to face.

His pale skin was obvious now in the low light, and his red eyes showed pure hunger and hatred towards me of course.

(Totally a Rose Hathaway worthy line)

I growled and pushed him against the ground a bit, taking strength in seeing his fangs, before untangling myself from him and getting between him and the young girl.

He tried to fight back but I shoved him away, and I think he got the message that he wasn't going to win.

"Find your source somewhere else, bitch." I barked as he ran off away from us.

The child behind me wasn't one I'd seen before, and cowered at the sight of me, still terrified that a vampire had chased her. I wasn't about to let her know a vampire was in front of her still.

"Hey, it's ok. It's ok, sweetheart. Everything's alright." I cooed as I lowered myself to a knee in front of her, extending a hand.

She sniffed and hugged her brown teddy bear. She wore a pale blue nightgown with capped sleeves and her bare feet were scraped and bloody from running around here.

"I'm not going to hurt you. What's your name?" I kept my hand extended for her to take whenever she felt safe.

"M-Melissa. . . M-Melissa Lycan. . ." She whimpered and hid behind her teddy bear.