Happy With Being 16

My Harmony Chap. 14

   Today is the day I finally turn 16. The day of my birth. December 27. Though I should be excited, I wasn't really. My Brother hadn't mentioned anything about it over the past 2 days.

   Usually he makes fun of how old I am now and makes some joke about me being an old lady soon. But this year, nothing. I also didn't tell any of my friends my birthday either. Since it was too close Christmas, I didn't want them buying me anything. (Or Celebrating it for that matter) So I just didn't tell them anything.

   I got up from my bed and went to Hinabi's room. He wasn't in there. I was wondering where he was when I heard some music. I went downstairs to see him playing with his little electronica music player. I sighed. He's been playing with that thing ever since he got it. Trying to make new beats with it. Some were awesome and others were…plain awful.  I swear, my ears are still ringing from that screeching sound he made last night.

    He looked up at me and smiled. "There's my little sister." he said, getting up and patting my head like a child. I puffed up my cheeks. "I'm not little. I just turned 16 today."

 "Oh yea…that is right." he said. "I guess I shouldn't be calling you 'Little Sister' anymore huh?"

  "You think?"

  "Sorry I didn't get you a present this year. I guess I forgot your birthday."

  "It's cool. I know my birthday is close to Christmas, so I don't expect anything special."

   "And Mom's sorry too. You know why-"

  "I know Hinabi." I said, cutting him off.

  Mom had to leave yesterday morning because Father had an important meeting with someone and he wanted her to be there. She didn't have a choice. When we dropped her off at the airport, she hugged me and told me sorry. I told her that it was alright. I don't mind her not being here for my 16th birthday. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

   She looked at me with tears in her eyes before getting on the plane. i smiled at her. Though that smile was a fake one. I know how much she wanted to be here with us, but when it came to my Father, it was a different story.

   "You alright?" asked Hinabi.

   "Yea. I'm ok." I said.

  He looked at me with a worried expression, before walking back to his music thing. "Hey there's something I want you to get from the garage. I need a hammer."

   "Why? Are you already tired of that thing?"

   "Nah. I'm planning on fixing something in the kitchen."

   "Like what?"

  "The…" He looked like he was trying to figure out what to say. "toaster…"

   "Your planning on fixing the toaster?"

   "Yes. Why? Don't think I can do it?"

   "Hinabi, last time you 'fixed' something, your laptop caught on fire."

   "That was a long time ago."

   "It was 5 months ago."

   "Right. A long time ago. Now can you go get the hammer please."

   I sighed. 'No point arguing.'

  "Fine but remember, I have 911 on speed dial."

   He rolled his eyes and continued playing with his music.

  I went into the garage and looked for the tool box.

   'Hmm I wonder where that tool box is. Maybe it's next to Hinabi's car. Or in his trunk? Or maybe it's near this BMW? Hmmm…wait? BMW?!'