11: the simple things, they make my heart go

Mayday Parade // Take This To Heart

-

"Well, it will be in about one or two months. But that's also because you will probably not get an appointment and a blood test earlier", Mr Shepherd added. Mikey still looked at him with wide eyes. He hadn't thought it would be this fast at all. He had thought he would have to wait about 12 months or even longer. Yeah, he had been in therapy for almost two years then and he had told his therapist about one week after discovering that he was trans about his identity, but Mrs Jones wasn't specialised or anything. Of course she knew some general things about transgender – you probably should when you're a therapist – but Mikey hadn't thought just talking to her about that topic would count as "trans therapy".

"You probably ask yourself why it's that fast now, right?" Mr Shepherd asked when Mikey still didn't reply and Mikey just nodded. "Well, until a few years ago every trans person had to be in therapy for 18 months – it didn't and still don't have to be a trans specialised one though – but now the psychiatrist can decide when to write the indication. Okay, it still should be more than 6 months of therapy, but I think that's definitely better than 18. Actually some endocrinologists want a confirmation over one year of living as the gender the people are then, but this one just wants the indication and trusts the psychiatrists with their decision, which I personally highly respect. Well, of course it is actually also not my decision to make, but I guess I can kinda figure out if the person is making the right decision – or at least if they are not making the wrong decision, I guess." Mikey nodded, still in astonishment.

No one said anything for some time afterwards – Mikey still needed to comprehends what had just happened and Mr Shepherd gave him that time.

When Mikey looked ready to go on with therapy, Mr Shepherd started to ask him about his day. Mikey talked about the previous night and how that happened sometimes and that he hadn't particularly felt great that day.

"What do you think caused your mood?", Mr Shepherd asked. Mikey thought for a moment. He had actually thought about that before, but he still wasn't sure what had happened. "Maybe ... it's because of Pete ... or tomorrow ... I don't know." "Who is Pete and what is tomorrow?" "Uhm... Pete is a guy ..." "A friend of your's?" "Yeah, well, I kinda have a slight crush on him, I guess and yeah, I've been thinking about that." "Does he know about you being trans?", Mr Shepherd asked. Mikey shook his head. "I don't think he would have a problem with that, I just kinda don't want to come out right now. It feels good to be seen as a guy without anyone knowing that I haven't grown up as one, I guess." "That's understandable. You should only come out if you feel safe and comfortable." "Yeah, I know... And tomorrow I have P.E. and I am afraid of changing in the boy's changing room, but I also don't want to change alone. That's weird, too", Mikey said. "What if you change in a corner and turn away?", Mr Shepherd asked. "I don't know. Maybe that's alright. I'll probably try that. And I'll change next to my friends. If they find out, I can tell them." "That sounds like good plan", Mr Shepherd reassured Mikey.

They talked about Mikey's hobbies, how he spent his free time and those things for the rest of the session.

"How often do you want to have therapy sessions? Once every week? Once every two weeks? Twice a week?", Mr Shepherd asked before Mikey could go. "Uhmm ... I guess once a week would be good." "Alright, do you have a particular day you want them to take place or one where you definitely can't come?" "Right now I don't have things planned after school. I think Tuesdays would actually be quite good." "Okay, then it's Tuesdays. How about 5 pm every Tuesday?" "Yeah, that would be great." "Okay then. See you next week." "Yeah. And thank you!", Mikey said and left the room.

His mum was waiting outside, standing next to her car with a huge grin on her face. "And?", she asked. Mikey grinned back widely. "Thank you so much!", he said and hugged his mum tightly. "I kinda thought it would be unfair for you to wait another six months when you've already had five."