2: these friends are, new friends are golden

/Mention of self harm/

Fall Out Boy // Homesick At Space Camp

-

"How can you be that fucking enthusiastic about school? About the first day of school even?", Patrick asked his best friend Pete on the first day of school – obviously – when he had opened the door to reveal the aforementioned with a huge grin plastered on his face. Patrick himself wasn't quite happy that school already started again. He needed holidays again already. He was tired and it wasn't even 8 am in the morning. A horrible time to be awake, he found.

He never knew and never would understand how Pete liked school. Maybe it was the fact that Pete Wentz was a highly intelligent guy. Well, at least it wasn't because of the fact that he was popular, because actually Pete and Patrick weren't exactly the most popular guys at school. But that was fine. Patrick hated attention. Pete probably didn't hate it as much as his best friend, but he definitely didn't need too much of it. And of course not for the wrong reasons.

If being intelligent and smart was esteemed Pete would be the most popular guy at school – probably. He would be if he showed it then. He didn't want to be a nerd. Okay, he didn't care if anyone called him a nerd – he actually was a nerd – but he just didn't want to be known as the nerd. He wanted to be known for who he was and not in a bad way, because being smart wasn't at all a bad thing. Still he was afraid others would call him names.

The teachers didn't understand how he never said a word during their lessons but always got straight A*s in every exam. They tried to talk to him about that, but he just shrugged it of with saying he had enough time to learn right before the exams. Actually he almost never studied. At least not for exams. Or for himself. His best friends that knew how smart he was always asked for advice or help and he could never deny that. He actually liked helping people.

"I just like learning new things, you know", Pete answered truthfully. Patrick just rolled his eyes. "You're such a fucking nerd. The only thing I'm looking forward to is meeting Joe and Andy ... and maybe lunch", he added. "We have seen Joe and Andy almost every day during the holidays, Pat", Pete said amused. "But still", Patrick almost whined.

They walked in silence for some time because Patrick was definitely much too tired to be bothered with talking and he was relieved that Pete also didn't talk. That would've been too much, too. At least for a Monday morning at not even 8 am on their way to school. Patrick thought he would fall asleep while walking and was actually glad that Pete started talking again.

"Hey! Didn't Miss Nestor say we'd get a new student this year?", he asked excitedly. "Hmm", Patrick just mumbled out in affirmation because he didn't care at all about new students. But Pete was right. Miss Nestor had indeed said something about a new student. "What do think will he or she come from?", Pete asked. "Don't know." "Come on! At least try to not show how tired you are!", Pete exclaimed, but Patrick just sighed at this and continued walking.

They reached the school without Patrick accidently falling asleep on their way – much to Pete's surprise. Of course Patrick didn't know where they had their first lesson, he always relied on Pete when it came to things like that. So he just followed Pete when he walked up the stairs to the first floor. He just hoped it wasn't physics. But then he remembered the first lesson after the holidays was just talking with their home room teacher in their home room. Thank god.

They still had about twenty minutes till the lessons started – Pete always wanted to be the first at school, well, in their class room – and Andy and Joe would probably get their last minute. Or last-second.

When they had found their room, they were surprised to already find Miss Nestor in it talking to a student they didn't recognise. That must've been the new one.