Mine (Epilogue)

Do you remember, we were sitting there by the water?
You put your arm around me for the first time.
You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter.
You are the best thing that's ever been mine.  

Mine- Taylor Swift

_______________________________________________

Twelve Years Later

Barry entered the house after a long day's work at CCPD as a CSI. The highlight of his day was always coming home to his loving wife and family. The second he walked into the house the sound of naked feet padding along the floor quickly got closer to him and his five-year-old daughter, Natalie, jumped up for a hug followed by Henry his four-year-old son.

"Daddy!" Natalie squealed with delight as he picked her up.

"Hey, bug," Barry replied, making Natalie giggle at the sound of her nickname. "Hey, slugger," he turned his attention to his son who was attached to his other arm. 

"Natalie! Henry! Dinner's ready!" Barry heard the beautiful voice of Caitlin calling from the kitchen.

At the sound of food, the two young children detached themselves from their father and ran into the kitchen closely followed by Barry.

As he walked in, he saw Caitlin placing plates of food on the kitchen table and the two children clambering into their chairs. While Nora, their two-year-old, was sitting in her highchair.

As Caitlin finished placing the plates on the table, she strode over to Barry and placed a kiss on his lips before sitting in her own seat.

After dinner, all three children were put to bed, leaving their parents to some well-earned alone time with a couple glasses of wine cuddled up together.

"How was work?" Barry asked, referring to her job at STAR labs as a bio-engineer rather than wrangling their three children.

"It was fine. What about you?" Caitlin replied, taking another sip of wine before leaning further into his chest.

"It was good but stressful. Captain Singh loaded me with a hell of a lot of cases. But I guess it comes with the promotion," Barry replied, threading his fingers through her hair.

"You know, we've been together for fifteen years now. Time has really flown by. It feels like just yesterday when we first met and we fell hopelessly in love," Caitlin stated, adding a dramatic tone as she finished the sentence.

"Mmmm. But it's been the fifteen years of my life," Barry replied.

"Yeah, it really has been. I don't know where I would be without you," she agreed.

"You have no idea," he replied.

"I think I do," she sighed, finishing her glass of wine and placing it on the coffee table her eyes suddenly feeling very heavy.

"We should probably get some sleep. You know how grumpy you get when you don't get enough sleep," Barry stated, looking down to see that she had fallen asleep in his arms looking as beautiful and adorable as ever. He kissed her head then picked her up bridal style, being careful not to wake her, and carried her up to bed. 

As he began to drift off beside her, he reflected on how wonderful their life together was. It was everything they had ever dreamt of and more. They had a wonderful family together and although it was stressful they wouldn't change it for the world. Their three children were beautiful and perfect and there was no better feeling than seeing their smiles and hearing their laughter.

Barry and Caitlin were still just as in love as they always had been, maybe even more so. When they were wed they still had so much to discover together. Going to college. Finding jobs.  Finding their own home. Starting a family and all the wonderful effects of it. They had never been closer when they were expecting their first child, Natalie.