Prologue

I took a deep breathe hugging my mommy and then walked into the classroom. My family had just moved here from New York to be closer to my daddy's family, and today was my first day of third grade.

As I walked through the door and I saw all of the kids I couldn't help but fidget with the end of my skirt. Everyone was taking seats and I hesitantly sat down next to a girl with long black hair and glasses.

"Hi my name is Jasmine," she said a smile on her face.

"And I'm Justin," said the boy at the desk in front of us.

"I'm Stephanie," I said to the both of them blushing a little.

"OK class, welcome to the first day of third grade, my name is Ms. Moor, and today we are going to play a little game," she said quieting us down and smiling as she spoke, "OK I want to go around the room and have everyone tell their middle name and one thing they love to do," she said smiling at the first student.

Each person said their middle name and then it got to me. I smiled shyly and then spoke, "my middle name is Clover and I love to read," a few of the kids snickered and mumbled a few jokes. I looked down and blushed feeling like I might cry.

I looked up spying Justin looking at me he gave me a smile and whispered, 'it’s a pretty name'.

Later at recess I was wandering the playground a book in hand. "Stephanie do you want to play tag with me, Ryan, and Justin?" Jasmine asked.

"Yeah, OK," I said closing my book and walking over to the teacher to give it to her.

I followed her over to Justin and Ryan, "why is she here, I don't want to play with her. She has a stupid middle name," Ryan said crossing his arms.

I couldn't control what came next as I started to cry. Justin smacked Ryan on the arm, "don't talk to her like that," he said coming over to me. He put an arm around my shoulder and hugged me, "don't cry Ryan is just a jerk sometimes. Don't worry about it I like the name Clover even more then Stephanie..." he smiled at me wiping a tear off of my cheek, "cans I call you Clover instead of Stephanie?" He asked getting a little shy.

I smiled at him, "yeah," I said smiling at him.

We went over to Jasmine and Ryan and he apologized. We played for the rest of the time and then went back to the class with everyone.

When it was time to leave and my mommy came to pick me up I gave Justin and Jasmine a hug sending Ryan a wave. "Did you make new friends Stephanie?" My mommy asked me taking my hand and walking me out to the car.

"Yes I did mommy, but can you call me Clover? I like that name better," I asked smiling up at her.

"I thought you didn't like your middle name sweetie?" She asked.

"I do now," I smiled wide. When we got in the car I buckled my seat belt and looked out the window seeing Justin walking with his mommy.

Seventh grade today was the first day of seventh grade. I thought to myself as my mom dropped me off in front of the enormous junior high. I swallowed hard feeling nervous.

I followed the crowd of people and we were huddled into the cafeteria.

I nervously glanced around trying to find Jazz. I spotted her with Riley and smiled as I walked over to them. We chatted for a while waiting for the bell to ring.

When it did Jazz and I made our way to our first period. We walked down the hall already knowing where our class was and trying to avoid the eighth graders. "Can you believe that he is dating her," jasmine said nudging me with her elbow. I followed her gaze and saw that he was talking about Justin and Asia.

I playfully rolled my eyes, "oh no but he was supposed to be with me, my life is over now," I said sarcastically. He had become quite the jerk since sixth grade when he kissed Vanessa at Shelby's party, and I guess now he was dating Asia. Maybe he would finally leave me alone again.

We walked into the class room and took seats in the middle of the first row.

More students piled in and half of me prayed that Justin wouldn't walk in... But luck was only on half of my side since a few seconds later he walked it. Great a whole year with him... again.

He walked over to me, "hey Clover," he said with a weird tone of voice I think he was trying to be flirty, "you look hot today," there it was. The first of many flirty comments that would be the only thing he said to me the entire year.

Honestly what was his problem, just because you are dating someone doesn't mean every girl wants you, you don't have to hit on them all.

I had two more classes with him and luckily none with Asia. Truth is she scared me a little, I had heard about the things she is said to have done with boys, and I've never even kissed one. Come on I mean we are only in seventh grade but she had a reputation already.

I walked home later that day since my mom decided I was finally old enough thank god. It was a little embarrassing to have your mom call after you how she loved you and wanted you to have a great day when there were cute boys watching.