Chapter 4 -Working

Start from the beginning

You nodded and slipped on a pair of gloves, "You ready to get started?"

He quickly stood, "Right! Yes."

"And please...just call me (y/n)."

Donatello gave you a smile, "Of course."

~

One week later~

You peered into a microscope, watching the mutagen cells interact with a mixture of Lithium and Gallium. You sighed as the mutagen cells chowed down on the mixture, quickly devouring it like Mikey did with a piece of pizza.

"Formula 114 -failed." You muttered as you scribbled down the results in your notebook.

It's was late at night, almost 2 a.m., but you were almost sure this formula would work! Despite your efforts, it was to no avail; you had obviously failed. Your (h/c) hair fell out of its loose bun, spilling around your face. You sighed as you tucked a strand behind your ear and continued to take notes. You glanced over at the canister of oozing goo, seeing that it was running low.

"Um, Donatello?"

"Hm?" He mumbled, not breaking his concentration from his experiment.

"We're running low on mutagen...I'll need some more before I can do anything else."

He nodded, still focused. "Okay, I'll get some the next time I have a chance."

You quietly nodded and looked back down, reviewing your notes,

After a few minutes, Donnie looked up from his work station, seeing you write furiously in your notebook. Observing your reaction, he knew that the new formula had failed. He saw the dark circles forming underneath your eyes as you focused, blinking tiredly every so often. He glanced at the clock, seeing that it was late, and stood up.

" (Y/N), maybe you should get some rest...it's been a long day for you."

"Hm?" You glanced up from your notebook, seeing him watch you and quickly looked back down again, "Oh uh ...right...I will, after just one more trial."

He smiled slightly and walked over, watching you write.

"Which formula was this?"

"114," you replied, "The one you wrote...The results are actually pretty decent, even if the formula failed...the hydrogen bonds were finally stable, but that still won't be enough to keep the mutagen from eating it whole...Nevertheless, we covered some ground."

"I see...I'll try 134 next, it's relies more heavily on ionic bonding than anything else."

You nodded, biting the edge of your pencil as you glanced over what you wrote.

"You're hair needs to be up...you don't want to spill anything on it." He murmured quietly.

You didn't hear him, too caught up in your notes.

Suddenly, you felt two gentle hands run through your soft hair, pulling it back into a bun again. You pretended to ignore it, continuing to take notes.

When he was done, Donnie stepped back.

"There, one less fire hazard in here."

You set your pencil down and sighed, leaning back in your chair. "....Do you think will ever find it? It seems like no matter how hard I try, I'm always running into a brick wall."

"Well," he sat back down in his chair, "you know the say, you hit a wall-"

"You push through it," You quietly finished.

He nodded, "My point is, we can't quit now...thousands of people are counting on us, and if we don't help them...who will?"

You remained quiet for a moment, slipping off your glasses to give your eyes a break. "I just...my father would know exactly what to do right now....Somehow he would always find the answer to something...He was a genius...and what am I? A glorified lab assistant stuck underground, hopelessly looking for the unknown."

Donatello frowned and walked back over, putting a hand on your frail shoulder, "(Y/N)....we can do this, just don't give up hope..Once your hope is lost, so is your drive to do it."

You nodded and fell silent, feeling a yawn come on, "I-I better get to bed... I'll do the next trial in the morning."

"Right, um" he rubbed his neck awkwardly, "Goodnight, (y/n)."

You nodded and smiled slightly, "...Good night Donnie."

You walked out of the lab and down the hallway, hearing Donatello mumble to himself as he closed his laptop.

"A fire hazard, really Donatello?!"

You smile softly to yourself and shuffled off to your room, collapsing on your bed.