3

After writing a few notes in my notebook I pack it away in my suitcase and grab my portable audio recorder, in case i get chance to speak to any of the staff on my wonder around. I'm going to get some pictures of the inside of the hotel on my phone and hopefully a picture of the eighth floor. I would use my professional camera, but I don't want to attract attention to myself.

I lock the door behind me and start walking down the long hallway back to the lifts. I passed a few other residents but didn't see the point of speaking to any of them yet. I waited patiently for the lift to get to my level but saw one of the maids coming towards me.

"Hi, excuse me do you have a moment to speak with me?" I say smiling sweetly.

"Is there a problem with your room ma'am?" She asks worriedly.

"Oh no, it's perfect thanks. I just wanted to ask you about what it's like working here and about the eighth floor?" I ask, sneakily pressing the record button of the audio recorder that was in my pocket.

"Sorry ma'am but I haven't got permission to speak to you about that" She says and starts to walk away.

"Please, I'm here to write about the rumours of the eighth floor" I ask urgently following her.

"Don't go to the eighth floor" She says with wide eyes, like she'd seen a ghost.

I stood there confused by what she meant, and she walked off before I could ask anymore. I was brought out of my trance when the lift bell rang indicating that it had arrived at this floor.

I quickly ran inside the lift and looked at the buttons of the levels that the lift went to, starting with G for ground and went up to number nine. There was a number eight option, but if customers aren't allowed there then why would there still be an option for the lift? Maybe it is all rumours and the staff are part of it to keep up business. You never know, they might start putting up prices, and for even more money you could stay on the eighth floor...

I press the eight button and wait for the lift to go down a level.