Legacy: Chapter 48

chapter's song : wasted youth by fletcher

-

Alex was in a funk. 

She had a valid reason, though, since her best friend had told her boyfriend behind her back to break up with her. Servando hadn't tried to contact Alex in over a week and a half, and she was almost to the point where she wanted to find him online, get his address and bust into his apartment. 

The more she thought about the drastic idea, the more she decided it might actually work. It was crazy, all right, but Alex could care less about crazy as she opened her laptop and googled his name. 

About seven hundred results popped up and as usual, only the first two were relevant. The first was of the NYU men's soccer team from a couple years ago, when Servando went to the school, and the second one was for whitepages. Alex clicked on the second link and was shown the address of the man. 

Half an hour later, her black honda pulled into the parking lot of the Ravenswood Apartment complex. The print out in her hand said that Servando lived in 124A, which meant the place was the on the first floor. 

Alex approached the black door and felt her heart increase. She took a shuddering breath. Alex didn't know what she wanted him to say. Sure, it would be great if Servando wanted her back. But he had broken up with her for a reason, right? The reason was that Tobin has told him to. 

But Tobin had to have a reason, didn't she? Alex had known the midfielder for a three and a half years, and she knew that Tobin never did anything without knowing why. Alex trusted her. Well, she had. She didn't know if she could anymore. 

Alex shook her head, tried to clear her mind, and knocked lightly. The wooden base of her sandals was soaked with sweat, and she was sure that she looked like a mess. She didn't give a fuck. 

The door opened and Servando's surprised face looked back at her. His dark hair was hanging down and almost covering his eyes. "Alex," he said, his eyes wide. 

"Uh, hi," she mumbled, giving him a soft smile. 

He didn't wait in opening the door to let her in. The apartment was exactly how Alex would have pictured it. Soccer trophies and socks and cleats were scattered along the floorboards and a glass of water sat on the table. Sports magazines and a couple books were stacked next to the door near a coat rack, which only held Servando's leather jacket. 

He noticed her eyeing it. "Can I take your coat?" he asked, his voice timid and restrained. 

"No," Alex shook her head. "I won't be long." 

Servando bit his lip and tilted his head. "So..." 

Alex didn't speak. 

"I'm assuming you want to know what Tobin told me?" Servando asked quietly. The forward nodded and shifted her green gray eyes downwards. Obviously, yes. What else would she be doing there, wanting to get back together with him? She thought sarcastically. 

"I can't tell you." 

Alex looked up and her eyes narrowed. "What? Why? Serr, I need to know!" She demanded, the volume of her tone increasing quickly. 

Servando sighed heavily and itched his head slowly. He looked very deep in thought. which was something that Alex didn't like to see, especially in situations like this. "Alex, this is something that you...  have to figure out on your own. I can't help you now." 

Alex groaned quietly and turned around. She didn't want to look at him. "So is this all pointless? My coming here?" 

Servando shrugged. "It's what you make it out to be. I don't see it as pointless. But maybe you do, how would I know?" 

The forward was quiet as she processed what her ex had just said. "I don't think it was pointless either," she said after a moment. She hoped Servando knew that she meant more than just visiting him. What did Alex mean? 

Their relationship. Loving each other. Flirting in the bar. What was it all for? The end goal of all couples is marriage, right? Alex had never thought about marriage, though. Could she really see herself marrying Servando someday? No, she couldn't. 

He nodded lightly. "I know. I'll miss you Alex, I really will. But you need to trust me on this. I know that you must do this on your own..."