Legacy: Chapter 33

It was the day before the students of NYU were faced with midterm exams and needless to say, all of them were panicked. Ali and Alex were up to their necks in textbooks, binders and notes, frantically scramming every inch of info into their brains. It would all be forgotten by the time of the test. Allie was the only girl that wasn't studying, instead in her phone and occasionally looking over Lindsey Horan's shoulder while the younger woman read.

The clock had just ticked ten o'clock at night, and all four women working in the small apartment knew they wouldn't hit their beds for at least five or six more hours.

Allie sighed and rolled over on the couch, a horribly bored expression on her face. The adjustment caused the other three to glance up with sharp glares.

"Al, don't you have a Communications exam tomorrow morning?" Ali asked, sinking into her chair.

The blonde woman shrugged, pulling her hair into a ponytail. Lindsey rolled her eyes on the couch next to her. Unfortunately, Allie noticed the remark and smirked at the side of Lindsey's head. Feeling eyes upon her, she turned and frowned at Allie, who looked the other way suspiciously.

Lindsey shook her head, turning her fragile attention back to her textbook. All the words seemed to blend together and the junior sighed, knowing she wouldn't be able to comprehend anymore information about Molecular Biology.

Allie tapped on Lindsey's shoulder, drawing the woman's attention to her. "How are you going to celebrate after midterms?" She hissed into Lindsey's ear.

The brunette recoiled slightly. "What?"
Allie's smirk only grew. "You know celebrate... Are you going to do the dirty with Coach?"

Lindsey felt herself turn red and her hands started to sweat. She bit her lip and looked down, determined to ignore the woman.

Alex – perched on the other side of the living room – glanced over at the duo quickly. Her eyebrows were narrowed and she nodded in confusion at Allie, who smile smugly in return.

"Is that a yes?" Allie teased, focusing on Lindsey again. "Have you done it yet? Are you any good? Is Coach any good?"

Lindsey pressed her lips together and glared into the seam of her textbook. "Goddamn it, Allie," she hissed, knowing the senior could hear her.

Thankfully, a knock interrupted them and everyone turned to Allie, who unwilling walked over to the front door.

Her eyes widened slightly when she saw Rae standing in front of her, her unruly hair tugged into a knot on the nape of her neck. She wore a long sleeve red shirt with a flower pattern underneath a pair of ratted overalls. The outfit wasn't something that anyone else would typically wear, but it suited Rae.

"Allie, can I talk to you?" Rae asked, peaking around the senior and catching sight of the other three woman, who were curiously staring at Rae.

Allie glanced behind her at her open textbook and roommates and Lindsey. "Right now? Midterms are tomorrow and we all need sleep..."

Rae nodded frantically. "Yes, right now. It's important, I promise."

Allie tugged the freshmen into the bedroom she shared with Hope and shut the door, avoiding the  yearning looks from Ali, Alex and Lindsey.

"Well?" Allie prompted, her hands on her hips but an open expression resting on her face.

"I have a small problem..." Rae started, choosing her words carefully. "It's... Regarding Mallory. And Steph."

Allie sighed, knowing exactly what the freshman was going to say.

-

Once Rae had shared what she had wanted to, Allie took a deep breath and looked down, waiting for some advice come to her.

"The thing is," Allie started finally. "Mal is a great person. And... I have had many conversations with her. About... similar topics," she said slowly. "And she thinks very highly of you as well. Which, I suppose, is a good thing." Allie sighed. She cast a glance at the freshman in front of her, whose eyes were small with hope and anxiety.

"Yet, Mal is the type of person...that is prone to pitying her friends if they are struggling or have recently experienced a great loss. I have only known her for some four or five months, but I have gathered that Mallory is a very protective young woman. She will remain closer to those that she thinks need her and will stay away from those that she loves."

Rae bit her lip, but her dark eyes didn't waver as Allie finished speaking. The blonde nodded once at the girl and opened the door, excusing herself to the bathroom. Left alone in ber friend's bedroom, Rae looked around, her heart rate increasing to the point where it was pounding in her throat and in her ears.

She excused herself as well, waving a soft goodbye to the three women stretched out in the living room.