Fourteen - Superhero

Mia's POV

I woke up when I heard a soft-spoken voice say my name. I opened up my eyes to meet those vibrant green orbs. I felt the warmth of the sun on my face so I looked out the window and realized our flight had just landed.

I realized that meant the fairytale I'd been in for the last few hours was over. The look in those forest green eyes told me he was thinking the same thing.

I held his face between both of my hands and gave him a light kiss. Our lips barely touching. If I didn't have his face between my hands and his scent enveloping me, I wouldn't have believed a kiss just took place.

It was difficult to say those three words to him because I knew by saying them I was opening up to him and leaving myself to be vulnerable again. But I felt that if I didn't say them now, the clock would hid midnight and those words I never said would eat me up inside.

"I love you Alex"

"Mia, you're saying that as a goodbye... please don't do that..." his warm green eyes begged me.

"It is a goodbye... I just don't want to leave without you knowing that."

"It doesn't have to be a goodbye Mia, I'm willing to drop everything just to have another chance at this..."

I couldn't hear those sweet words because I knew they would make me stay. But I just couldn't. That's how it was last time. He was the sweetest boyfriend and it was all a plan to get what he wanted. I couldn't be sure that would not be the case now.

I kissed his forehead gently and felt him wipe away the betraying tear that was rolling down my cheek. As soon as his pilot opened the door, I walked away leaving him standing in the same position that he had been in. I could feel my lungs constrict in my chest and my throat tighten but I knew this would be for the best.

Before he could catch up to me, I hailed a cab and went straight home. I wanted to get there before Ethan did and I knew I didn't have time to waste.

Even though a few tears escaped, I tried to compose myself because I didn't want Ethan to ask questions. I didn't know if I should tell him about going to Brazil but I also didn't want to lie to him. Maybe I could just tell him I went on a business trip, which was true.

As soon as the taxi parked outside I felt uneasy. Almost like the calm before the storm. I stepped inside feeling slightly anxious but everything looked fine. I was about to put my bag down to begin unpacking when Ethan stepped in through the bedroom door.

I was startled because I thought he wouldn't be home for a few hours and I didn't hear the door open. I walked over to him to give him a hug as I said, "how was your hospital visit? What did the doctor..." but before I could finish my sentence I felt a sharp sting across my face that knocked the air out of me. I didn't even see it coming. One minute I was about to hug him and the next I taste the metallic taste of my own blood in my mouth.

I held my tender cheek and looked up at Ethan's emotionless face with wild eyes.

"Ethan why would you..." but before I finished again he bolted towards me and grabbed my shoulders pushing me against the wall.

My shoulder blades and the back of my head hit the wall painfully and I moaned in pain.

"You fucking cheater! You thought I wouldn't find out? You thought you could go on a little vacation with that imbecile and come back as if nothing happened?!"

With every word he said he became more angry and slammed me against the wall again.

The tears left a hot trail down my face as I looked at him completely bewildered. How did he even know I went?