Six - Remission

Mia's POV

I took my heels off and tiredly walked into my place. It had been a long day at work mostly because I felt on edge all afternoon after having lunch with Alex. The way he embraced me and looked into my eyes woke up all the feelings that I had been trying to suppress.

I knew I could just not date Ethan any longer because it was unfair to him and to myself. Even if he said it was okay and eventually I would love him I just knew that wouldn't happen. I could not love him because every piece of my heart belongs to Alexander.

I sat on the sofa debating how I would break the news to him. I knew he'd be here in a few minutes since that was his routine. I bit my lip nervously and decided to just be straight to the point. It would be the easiest way to do it I thought.

His knock made me slightly jump out of surprise. I knew he had a key so I did not know why he was knocking but I went to open the door anyway. He smiled at me but it didn't reach his eyes which made me anxious.

"Hey Ethan"

"Hi babe, how was your day?"

"It was alright, yours?"

"Not too great" he said looking upset.

"Ethan we need to talk."

He looked at me as if he knew what I wanted to say and replied quickly, "we do, I need to tell you something important."

That completely surprised me. We sat down on the sofa and I looked at him, "what is it?"

His next words made my heart squeeze painfully because I just couldn't break up with him after this.

"My cancer came back..."

A tear fell from the corner of his eye as he looked at me and I just felt frozen. There was no way that i would break up with him like this. I couldn't give him any more bad news.

I didn't know what to say to him other than hug him and try to process what had just happened.

Ethan's POV

I smiled while she hugged me making sure she did not see me. This worked out perfectly. There was no way she'd break up with me any longer. I saw her resolve completely disappear when I gave her the news. She was definitely mine now.

"Mia... I have something to ask you... I won't give up this fight baby. I will put all my energy into fighting this cancer again. I just need something from you... I hope you'll say yes because I knew this will just make it so much easier for me... and it'll make me so happy."

"What is it?"

"I would like for us to live together during this time.. you know how tiring my treatment is and I would just like to spend as much time with you as I can..."

"Ethan... you need to focus on yourself right now not on us... I think it's best if you don't move in right now"

I tried to put my most pained expression and looked down, "Mia... if I die... I just want to know that I spent as much time with the person I love. If my time is cut short I want to know I lived life to the fullest."

I could see her struggling to say no even though she wanted to then she gave me a weak smile and barely nodded.

"Oh baby girl thank you so much, you don't have to worry about a thing I'll get everything taken care of so we can just be together as soon as possible okay?"