Superheros and Sun ( Pt. 2 )

Start from the beginning

Ally chews on her lip and turns over to look at Bradley, and says: "Really?" after Lauren has already slid off of the swing and walked away, shoulders hunched and eyes down, "I don't really think so..."

;-;

Lauren swallows, now inside with the others (they'd just had snack), and watches Camila put on an assortment of glittering dresses and jewelry, until garbed in a white party dress, itchy sequined pale orange sash, with rings covering her fingers, along with bracelets up to her elbows. She slips into too-big and too-high high heels, before plopping down into the makeshift makeup station made by Ally (a plastic Fisher-Price chair in front of a full length mirror with a turned over dress up bin in between, play makeup littered all over), and the she begins to apply dark green eye shadow all over the upper part of Camila's face. She then puts mascara under Camila's eyes, before adding rosy pink blush to the tan girl's cheeks, nose, and chin, then adds some bright red lipstick unevenly to her lips, also getting some nearly halfway up to her nose.

Lauren sighs, this weird icky feeling weighing like a ton of bricks in her chest, and gulps again. Ally squeals as Camila stands up, and the bride shrieks, too, before hugging Ally tightly, thanking her over and over again.

"I look amazing, Ally!"

Ally laughs, "I know!"

The both of them (along with a few other girls) walk back outside; where other kids of the daycare have set up more plastic chairs on either side of a long strip of toilet paper, a blonde kid at the end in a white button-down, holding a coloring book, looking extremely haughty and official. Shawn is on the boy's right in a baggy tux, his groomsmen alongside him in the same fashion. The "minister" yells.

"Everyone—everyone, pleases, come one come all—for thy wedding has now begun!"

Lauren, leaning against a tree to the left, raises her eyebrows. Various kids in varying dress up clothes come and sit down in the plastic chairs, as the daycare's supervisors (really, they think this is adorable) start playing Here Comes the Bride on a battery-powered radio. Toddlers stand as Camila walks in from behind the side of the building, her smile large and hands filled with dandelions, bridesmaids trailing after her (wait—something's wrong). She awkwardly walks up the toilet paper aisle in her bright red high heels, makeup terrible. She stops opposite of Shawn, still beaming, and takes his hand as the minister—his name's actually Paul—starts talking.

Rage flares in Lauren. Camila's hers, everyone knows that! Last week, when Camila slipped off of the swings while in the air and banged up her knee, it was Lauren that was there first, not stupid Shawn! It was Lauren who ran and got a Hello Kitty Band-Aid, not the supervisors (she doesn't trust those idiots with her Camila), and put it on Camila's knee and hugged her when she cried. It's Lauren that gives Camila her cookies, and let's Camila play with her superheroes—she doesn't let anyone else—, and listens to Camila when she says she wants to play with dolls and goes over to her house and says hi to her moms and does everything for Camila, because Camila's hers—not—stupid—Shawn.

And anyways, boys have cooties.

Lauren huffs, crossing her arms, not realizing how much time her thinking killed, for Paul then said: "If anyone objects, say now or forever hold your pee."

Various guests giggle as a supervisor whispers in his ear. Paul blushes fiercely and clears his throat, "I meant peace," and Lauren's hands start shaking as people hold their breath. What should she say—how should she say it? As Paul's mouth opens to say 'You may now kiss the bride' Lauren jumps from her perch in the shade and into the sunlight; heads swivel and people gasp, while adults purse their lips.

"Don't marry Shawn!" She yells, and Camila gapes at Lauren, furiously throwing her dandelion bouquet to the ground as she storms up to her best friend.

"Lauren—you ruined my wedding!"

Lauren pauses, eyebrows knitting together in concern, mouth hanging agape as Tori runs off sobbing into the daycare center's building. One of the supervisor's—Shelby, Lauren's favorite (so yeah, they aren't all idiots)—dashes after her, and Lauren trembles as the kids spit mean words to her.

"Nice going,"

"Jerk,"

"You made her cry,"

"She doesn't like you anymore!"

"Hey."

Lauren sniffs, tears gathering in her eyes, but she refuses to let them fall, and looks up, gulping at Shawn, and hurriedly apologizes.

"I—I'm sorry..."

Shawn grins, surprisingly clapping her on the shoulder, looking relieved, "Nah, its okay. I didn't really want to marry Camila , she's crazy—but if I said no I thought she'd kill me. She won't kill you, though."

Lauren sniffs again, smiling, and Shawn smiles again, before walking into the building.

Lauren follows.

;-;

A swarm of little kids crowd around the bathroom door, listening to Camila's cries and Shelby's comforting, futile words. Lauren glares at every single one of them, and they all evacuate quickly in fear of the Jauregui girl. Lauren turns back to the wooden door and knocks twice—Camila quiets down as Shelby asks who it is.

"It's Lauren," and the blonde supervisor opens the door. Lauren looks past and finds Camila with makeup smeared down her face, hair in disarray Lauren hesitantly walks in as Shelby walks out to leave the friends alone while Camila pouts.

"Hi," Lauren waves.

"Hi," Camila waves back.

Lauren blurts out, "I'm sorry," and Camila shrugs, picking at her dress.

"It's okay. I didn't really want to get married, I have commitment issues, you know."

Lauren nods, even though she has no idea what Camila just said, and grabs some paper towels from the dispenser, then steps up on the little stool in front of the sink, wetting them. She steps off and pats on the plastic—"Pop a squat,"—and Camila grins, sitting down. Lauren starts scrubbing at her face to remove the makeup, and after many towels and eight minutes, she's done.

"There."

Camila steps back and throws the paper towels away, before plopping down opposite of Camila on the cool tile. They sit in a comfortable silence, Camila looking at Lauren's hair, while Lauren herself looks at the floor. The pale girl lifts her head.

"Hey," she says softly, and Camila perks up, "The next time you're getting married, it'll be to me—okay?"

Camila beams, nodding, and stands, before giving Lauren a quick peck on the cheek, "Promise."

Lauren giggles, and the rest of the day goes off without a hitch.

Crisis averted.

;-;