Superheros and Sun ( Pt. 2 )

"Lauren!"

Lauren smiles, looking up from the PB&J sandwich her mother made. Camila's short, five-year-old form is bouncing excitedly in front of her, garbed in a jean skirt and blue shirt that contrasts vigorously with Lauren's own black board shorts and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tee. Lauren rifles through her Spiderman lunch box as Tori slides onto the picnic table next to her, offering her a chocolate chip cookie, Camila takes it, and through a full mouth declares loudly.

"I'm getting married!"

Instantaneously, the grin falls off of Lauren's face. She immediately loses her appetite and throws the sandwich back on the table. Camila pays no heed and thrives on, talking quickly about dresses and cake and flowers. Lauren scowls, glaring; she crosses her arms and cuts her best friend off.

"...and it'll be chocolate, with rainbow—"

"Who are you marrying?"

Camila stops, surprised at Lauren's cold voice—never a good sign. She swallows, chews on her lip, tucks some hair behind her ear and looks down, "Shawn..."

Lauren scoffs, looking over Camila's shoulder and at the pint-sized groom, who's standing near Matthew, who's then being latched onto by that weird Bradley kid as usual; she looks down and picks at her green t-shirt, "That dork? He's such a loser."

"Hey!" Camila yells objectively, "Don't be mean to my fiance!"

Lauren whips her hand out and tears a cookie out of the tin box, stuffing it into her mouth angrily. She swallows thickly.

"I'll say whatever I want!"

A sound, somewhere between a whine, squeal, and growl emits from Camila's mouth as she jumps up and storms off, towards her groom and his friends. Lauren quickly chows down another cookie, but when she reaches for more, she realizes it's her last one, and mutters, eyes glued to Camila's angry, marching form.

"Stupid."

Lauren sticks her tongue out, and her face falls when Camila doesn't notice, but she's still angry, really.

;-;

Lauren frowns at Ally, the weird girl that always happy and prays before she eats during lunch. The both of them are sitting next to each other silently on the swings.

Lauren likes Ally well enough, sure, and sometimes she'll play—ugh—Barbies with her and Camila. Lauren' frown switches from skeptical to depressed, and she looks up, hair curtaining her face. Across the playground Camila stands, chubby hands on her hips, thumbs hooked into her pockets while she orders other innocent children around to prepare for the Cabello-Mendes ceremony. Lauren looks back down at the wood chips beneath her slowly, and Ally nudges her side with her elbow. Lauren looks up reluctantly at Ally's bright grin.

"Are you going to be Camila's Maid-of-Honor, Lauren?" Ally looks skyward with a finger on her chin, as if contemplating something highly important, "Because Camila said she wanted you to, and that I'd be the bridesmaid, but since you and her had a fight she called it off. Did you know that Bradly and Matthew are Shawn's bridesmaids too?" Ally giggles, voice going a mile-a-minute, "Because I didn't know that, and, well, I think Bradley is like half-puppy or something because he always follows Matthew around like a puppy, you know? But then again, I think that Matthew's, like, Aladdin—have you seen his hair?—so maybe Bradley like that monkey—what's his face—Taboo? Yeah, I think it is Taboo—and that'd make sense, because, you know, Taboo's always by Aladdin just like Bradley is by Matthew. ...But Bradley doesn't really look like a monkey, does he?"

Ally takes in a deep breath, looking at Lauren intently, finally giving the other girl room to talk. Lauren swallows, still looking at the wood chips below her feet that aren't yet touching the ground; honestly, she hadn't heard one word the girl uttered (she says how distracted she is a lot), and mutters a quick, "Yeah, okay—sure."