Superheros And Sun

Lauren plops down in the sandbox quite un-ladylike with action figures, and Camila cocks her head. Boys play with superheroes and monsters! Not girls! Camila giggles at the strangeness of the paler toddler, before jumping off the slide and running towards the box. She waves as Lauren starts building a castle for Superman to get tortured in (she always preferred the Joker, anyways).

"Hi!" Camila says excitedly; Lauren looks up from her sand castle, Superman in one hand and the Joker in the other, while Batman rests at her knees. She squints at the other girl, looking her up and down. Finally, she seems to have a verdict.

"Go away."

Camila frowns, and begins rocking on her feet, making her pretty orange sundress swaying. She notes that Lauren is wearing jean capris and a black t-shirt, with DC villains of all kinds. No superheroes and Camila thinks she's seen that shirt in the boy's section, yet again proving that this girl is really weird. But, Camila likes her, anyways. She's different from the other little girls who play Barbies; Lauren almost seems a little bit more... fun.

Camila tries again, "Can I play? I'm Camila."

The little girl sighs, pausing in drowning Robin. She thinks for a few seconds, before finally letting go and saying reluctantly: "Fine..." (It's only because her mommy said to share.)

"Yay!" Camila claps, and immediately jumps over the wooden border, before plopping down in the sand opposite of Lauren, sitting on her knees. She picks up Batman, and decides to fly him around the castle. Simultaneously, she looks up at a hesitant Lauren, and smiles.

"What's your name?" She asks, already knowing the answer. She just wants Lauren to talk.

"I'm... Lauren."

And Camila smiles, before setting Batman on his feet, making his legs move awkwardly so he walks towards the lump of sand of a castle. In a deep accent, she says, "I'll save you Robin!"

Lauren laughs and Camila thinks it's really pretty and not weird, before the other girl takes the Joker in one hand and Robin in the other. She maneuvers the both of them farther back, towards a dump-truck. Where a Fisher Price doll would go, she sets the Joker on the little hump in front of the steering wheel, and then throws Robin in the back. Camila stands up as Lauren does, and the pale girl takes the truck in hand, zooming in the surrounding grass.

"Never!" She laughs, and Camila laughs with, before chasing Lauren, Batman forgotten. Eventually Lauren drops the truck in the lush green strands, and the superhero game turns into tag. Camila finally tackles Lauren onto the ground, and the both of them roll all around for no valid reason. Finally, they both fall on their backs, gasping for breath, and Camila points to the sky.

"That cloud looks like Batman."

Lauren giggles and points to the neighboring fluff, "That one looks like Spiderman," she drops her hand and turns over, pouting slightly, "I left him at home though."

"Aww!" Camila whines, turning over as well, she smiles in a few seconds, though. "You can bring him tomorrow!"

"No."

The both of them look up, finding Melissa, another girl at their daycare with blond pigtails and permanently pink clothes. Lauren glares as Camila frowns, noticing Melissa and her two friends (flanked at Melissa's sides,) holding Batman, Joker, and Robin.

"You're weird," Melissa spits at Lauren, and tears off Batman's head. Noting their cue, the two other girls do the same to the Joker and Robin. Camila jumps up as Lauren whimpers.

"That's not nice!" She grabs for the action figures, "Give them back; their Lauren's!"

Melissa ignores her as Lauren wobbly stands up, mad. "Are you Lauren's friend?"

Camila proudly nods and Melissa smirks.

"Then you're a freak too!"

Lauren lunges at her, not in the superheroes defense, but in Camila's. She gasps, "Lauren!" but Lauren ignores her, and tackles Melissa to the ground. Melissa's friends try to pry her off as Lauren  throws punch after punch, but she ignores them, only focusing on the blonde.

"Camila—isn't—a—freak!" she screams. The teacher comes over and pulls her off, tightening her grip on Lauren's arms as the pale girl struggles free. Melissa jumps up, her nose bloodied, and Camila looks at Lauren, surprised. They had only become friends today, and she was already beating people up for her? Camila doesn't get it, but isn't complaining. Melissa spits on the grass, and glares at Lauren.

"She is to a freak! She has two moms!"

The teacher gasps and scolds Melissa (still not letting go of Lauren), and Camila's face crumples. She looks to the ground; she loves her mothers, but apparently other people don't like them. Camila can't figure out why, though. They're so nice! Her momma dances with her when she's off of work, and her mommy even makes heart-shaped peanut-butter-and-jelly! But whenever she finally gets a true friend, their parents tell them to not hang out with her, because of her mommies. Camila honestly doesn't get it. But right now, the only thing she cares about is losing Lauren. She's the best friend she's ever had, despite only being friends for a few minutes. She is so cool—she wasn't superbly shy like Camila, she played with superheroes and villains, she's just... she's just Lauren, and Lauren is the best!

Camila begins softly crying, and seconds later she finds Lauren at her side.

"Hey," Camila sniffs and looks up, finding Lauren look at her worriedly, which is weird (just like so many other things about this girl), because she's usually all... mean. Camila tries to smile, which comes off as a grimace. Lauren frowns, and grasps her chubby hand with her own.

"Hey. Melissa's a jerk, don't listen to her. Okay?"

Camila smiles and nods, and Lauren laughs, before falling onto her knees and starts picking up the remains of Robin, the Joker, and Batman. Camila helps instantly, and Lauren looks up, grinning softly.

"Maybe you could come to my house!" She beams, "We could pretend we are superheroes! I'll be Spiderman, and you'll be MJ!"

Camila smiles. "Yeah, that'd be really fun."

Later, after lunch at five o' clock, the sky darkens a bit, and Camila's mothers come to pick her up. Lauren and her stand outside, and Camila turns to the other girl.

"Your daddy's picking you up, right?"

Lauren nods and Camila smiles, before hesitantly taking a step closer and giving her a hug; Lauren freezes, before finally, slowly, hugging her back. They pull back, and Camila waves goodbye as Lauren does the same. Her momma, Annie, walks over. Camila grasps her hand and smiles up at her, pointing to Lauren.

"She's my best friend, Momma."

Annie looks over at Lauren, who flushes, and then back at her daughter. "Really? Well," she holds out her hand, and Lauren reluctantly shakes it with her little one. Annie grins, "Hi, Lauren."

Lauren smiles, taking an instant liking to the woman, "Hi Camila's mom."

"It's Annie, sweetie."

Lauren toothily smiles, "Hi Annie."

Camila and her mother then walk off, and as Annie's about to drive away in the car, Lauren runs up, yelling: "Wait!"

Annie rolls down the window as Lauren stops in front of the car, and leans forward. "Yeah, kiddo?"

Breathless, Lauren holds out the somewhat-fixed (the teacher super-glued her figures back together,) and says: "Give this to Camila."

From the back, Camila exclaims. "The Joker? He's your favorite!"

Annie takes the doll and hands it back to her daughter as Lauren smirks.

"I know."