Chapter 22

Tyler's POV

Well, I was going to visit Brody, but when I heard him and Alex talking, I couldn't help but eavesdrop. My heart dropped when I heard everything that Alex told Brody. I didn't know she felt so helpless. It dropped even more when she told Brody she loved him, and he said nothing back. It reminded me of the David incident. That little cheating, lying, jerk face. Alex had met him last year when she was fourteen. I know kind of young to have a boyfriend, but she was hurting and he seemed nice. At first. When she first met David, he was every girls' idea of a perfect boyfriend. He was (according to Alex), charming, cute, funny, caring, sweet, understanding, and blah blah blah. That was until he showed his true colors. Even Travis, Brett, Mason, and Carson fell for his charm. We thought he was what she needed. Alex seemed to be happier around him and more relaxed. She had poured her heart out to him. She told him everything. He'd hug her and tell her that he was there for her. That he loved her and would never hurt her. 

But that didn't happen.

He crushed her even more than our father leaving did. He just used her to get the girl he really wanted. David didn't love Alex. He didn't care for her. He broke her even more. It's taken an entire year for her to open back up to us, and we don't want her to close back up. I'm brought out of my memories when I hear voices.

Brody's and Alex's to be exact. I creep as close to the door as I can without them seeing or hearing me. 

"I'm sorry for falling asleep," I hear Alex say. I know she's blushing and I know Brody is just smiling at her. 

"It's okay," he says. There's an awkward silence. Then I hear Brody ask, "Do you really mean it? I mean do you really love me?" I know Alex is closing up. Don't close up Alex. He's your best friend, even though he can't remember. I hear her sigh.

"Yes. I do mean it. I think I've always loved you." Good girl. There's more silence. 

"I know you haven't told me everything that happened in New York. You're more guarded than ever. Why?" I hear real concern in Brody's voice, something that was always lacking in David's. I know Alex is contemplating on whether or not to tell Brody. Then she starts talking. During her story, she chokes up, but Brody is there and comforts her. When she's done, he just lets her cry. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there Alex. I would've kicked his butt." I hear her laugh. Something we don't hear very much anymore. 

"Don't worry, I have five brothers who did that for you." I hear Brody chuckle too. If only he knew it was true. Then the laughing stops and the moment becomes serious.

"I know I've known you for a long time. But I don't know you anymore. I don't think I can say that I love you, but I can say that I'm getting there." 

"It's okay. I know you'll get there." I wait for ten minutes before I peek around the door frame and what I see brings a smile to my lips. Alex is on the bed with Brody, and he's holding her protectively. I know she'll be happy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Awe.... Aren't older brothers great?! No, really. I'd have to have someone answer that for me because I have no brothers. Just two older sisters. But I do have some friends who are like brothers to me. Hope you guys liked this chapter. I think there's only going to be a few more chapters before I end the book, and I'm thinking I'm going to make a sequel. That is if you guys want one after you read the very last chapter of this story. Thanks everyone for reading and liking my story!! :D Means so much to me!

Peace.....