Chapter 15

Alex's POV

My head's pounding and I can't remember what happened. I try to open my eyes, but they feel so heavy. I can hear voices, but they sound so far away.

"-okay?" one voice asks.

"-head-hard-concussion-" another voice says.

"-surgery?-Brody-" That name catches my attention.

Brody.

What happened to Brody? I open my eyes and the light is too bright. I blink a couple of times and notice the white walls around me. I look around and notice the IV tubes in my arm and then I see my brothers and a doctor. Anyways, I assume he is a doctor. He's wearing a white coat, has a clipboard, and is talking to my brothers.

"Travis?" My voice sounds hoarse and cracks. Travis whips his head to look at me, and then practically runs to my side.

"Oh Alex. I'm so glad you're awake!" I try to smile, but it hurts.

"What happened?" He looks at me with a concerned face. Travis motions for the doctor to come over. He walks over and stands by me.

"Hello Alexa. My name is Dr. Woodrow. How are you feeling?"

"Ugh. My head hurts and my whole body aches. And please, call me Alex." I look at my other brothers and see them smiling with knowing smiles. I feel the need to roll my eyes, but I don't because Dr. Woodrow is still standing by me.

"I see. Now Alex, what all do you remember?" I strain to remember.

"I remember getting out of school with.... Brody. Yeah, Brody. We were driving home, but then we got into an argument. I don't remember what about. And then after that, it's blank. I can't remember." I feel bad that I lied to the doctor and my brothers, but I just can't tell them why we were arguing. Travis looks at the doctor and he just smiles.

"Well that's good you remember all of that. What you don't remember is getting hit by another car. I assume that you and Mr. Hanson were so consumed with your argument that neither of you noticed the oncoming car." I lay there and process what he says. Then a frightening thought comes.

"I remember seeing the car. It was coming from his side. What happened to Brody? Is he okay? Is he..." I couldn't continue that sentence. Travis takes my hand and I look at him. I don't like the look on his face.

"Alex," Travis says softly, "Brody was in critical condition. The car hit him full on." I blink back my tears and lick my lips.

"Are you telling me that he's... dead?"

"No. Oh no. He's alive, he just had to go into surgery." I heave a sigh of relief. He was alive. My best friend is alive. Well, hopefully he's my best friend.

"But he's in a comma now." I look right into Travis's eyes to try and see if he's fooling me.

"It's not true. That's not true! He can't be! What if he never wakes up?! What if he died?! He can't die! He's my best friend!" I start yelling. I hear my brothers trying to tell me to calm down, but I can't. What if he dies? He can't die without me apologizing to him. I didn't mean to get so angry. I start feeling light headed and all together, lighter. My eyes start to close and I become drowsy. I see my brothers' concerned faces before I fall into a dreamless sleep.

xxxxx

Well that wasn't exactly as dramatic as I imagined it to be. Anyways, the next chapter will be at least two weeks later. Maybe a week and a half. Thanks for staying with this story!!!!