Chapter 7

"Hey Travis."

"Hi Alex." He says in his deep voice, with a hint of a British accent. He sits down in the grass next to me. We just sit there in silence for a moment.

"Go ahead and ask already." I hear him chuckle a little.

"Okay. Are you alright." I smile a little.

"I think you know the answer to that. Of course I'm not alright. I haven't been alright for a long time. Not since mum died and not since we moved and not since Papa abandoned us and especially not since David...." I feel the tears that I've tried so hard to hold back prick my eyes. Travis pulls me onto his lap and strokes my hair.

"Just let it all out Alex. I know you've held these things back for a long time now. So now is the time to let them all out." That's when I lose it. I bury my head into Travis's chest and cry. I cried they tears that didn't come at mum's funeral. I cried the tears that didn't come when we moved. I cried the tears that didn't come when Papa abandoned us. I cried the tears that didn't come when David broke my heart. I cried these all out until no more came. Then I just sat in Travis's lap, catching my breath and hiccuping. "Feel better now." I smile and laugh a little.

"Yeah. Yeah I do." Then we just sit there. Big brother holding broken little sister. And I finally feel as if I'm putting the pieces back together.