Chapter 6

I legit have no idea where this is going I'm literally writing on the spot with most of this now. so don't be worried if I don't post for a while. :D But I still have a little chappy for you. enjoy c: 

{Post write, june 6, 2017: oh gosh why was i like this. "a little chappy". wow. anyways, i'm just editing, hopefully i can clean this up so it's not so messy. wish me luck} 

The world was slowly seeping back to him. It started with the garbled sounds of the morning filtering in through the window, then came the random splotches of light that broke into his half-lidded eyes. Very soon after, Alec was aware of a horrible smell: the scent of blood, sweat, and {tears. nae pi ttam nunmul. I'm still just as cringy as I was when i was in middle school, sorry}  spilt cologne mingling in the air. He almost gagged, it was so awful. After laying on the ground for a bit while trying to regain his senses, Alec finally tried to get up. But he quickly realised that was not a good idea when his final senses came crashing back down on him. Pain shot up his spine and arm, causing the shadowhunter to jerk away in reflex. His head hit painfully against the broken bed frame. He swore savagely as more pain coursed through his head.

There was a muffled yawn from outside his door. "Alec?" someone called quietly. The voice sounded feminine and familiar, but he couldn't quite place where he knew it from. "Are you awake now?"

Instead of answering, Alec just groaned and lied back down. There was blood staining the carpet where his head rested. In fact, there was blood pretty much everywhere. On the floor, along the walls, in the sheets. Even smeared across his broken mirror that was normally perched on his desk. My desk. Alec slowly sat up and looked around. Everything was broken. All the shelves were turned over and shattered. His bed and desk were little more than splinters.

Alec tried desperately to remember what had happened, but nothing would come to him. It was as if there was a hole in his head where his memories should have been. It may be from the huge wound across your forehead, he thought dully to himself. The feeling sleeping in his stomach slowly stirred, causing another wave of pain to roll across his body. Alec could hardly stay conscious. Slowly, his senses began to seep away just as they had come before. The pain lessened, the smell dissipated, the lights dimmed, and the sounds quieted. In one short minute, Alec Lightwood was fast asleep.

----

Alec hadn't answered when Clary had asked if he was awake. She should have guessed as much, coming from the boy who could barely think straight the night before. Sighing, she got up and made her way to the kitchen.

"Good morning," Jace greeted sleepily. He looked extremely tired. None of them had really slept in a while, not with Alec acting the way he was.

"Morning," Clary replied, brushing past him to grab some toast. But before she could, an arm snaked around her waist, pulling her body against Jace's. He pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek.

"How was Alec," he asked quietly while pressing gentle kisses against her neck and cheek.

Clary was beginning to blush at Jace's behaviour. He hadn't really been paying her much mind when it came to their love life recently. "Same. I think he was up for a little bit, but when I asked if he was awake, he just groaned. I think he fell back asleep."

Jace seemed to ponder this. Eventually, he just grunted. "He needs rest," was all he said in return. With one last kiss, he let Clary go.

After a couple of minutes, Clary spoke up. "I'm worried about him, Jace. He usually doesn't act out like this," she said quietly, turning away from her toast to look at her boyfriend.

Jace sighed. "We all are worried. But we can only be here for him when he needs us to talk to. He has to do the rest himself. He'll come around eventually."

"But I feel so... Helpless," Clary said exasperatedly. Jace smiled slightly and pulled the small redhead in for a hug.

"He'll be ok. He's strong. Lightwoods don't give up easily." They held each other for some time, taking comfort in each others' presence, hoping their friend would pull through unscarred.

But love always left a mark.