Chapter 4

Magnus had a fitful sleep. He dreamt of his blue-eyed angel screaming and destroying everything while Magnus just stood there and watched. He couldn't do anything else. "Why did you do this to me?! You ruined me! This is all your fault!" Alec would scream at him. BANG! Another object would smash right next to his head. Alec's aim was getting better and better with each throw. Finally, Alec did it. He hurled something far worse than mere material objects. He spat his worst poison right into Magnus' face. "I'm sorry I ever met you, Magnus. My parents were right. You are a disgusting, worthless downworlder. I hate you." Then he threw the last object. It hurtled towards his face as everything else went dark...

Magnus woke with a start, drenched in sweat. The Chairman lifted his head to look at the warlock. What's the matter? Shadowhunter haunting your dreams?

Magnus glared at the cat. "Oh, go lick yourself," he muttered. Then he stumbled out of bed and to his bathroom. His reflection startled him. His hair was matted and extremely messy. The makeup he had applied the day before was smeared all over his face, making him look like a gothic, sparkly clown. He sighed. The worst part was the fact that his eyes and face were red and puffy from crying. I broke up with him. I shouldn't be crying. I should be going out and finding someone else. Not moping. But that was the problem. No one else could match Alec, not his delightful laugh, or his bashful tenderness, and certainly not his stupid, beautiful face.

The warlock leant his head against the mirror. The pounding headache was back. Oh, joy...

----

"ALEC! COME OUT OF THERE! YOU HAVEN'T EATEN ANYTHING! PLEASE! IT'S TAKEOUT!" yelled Isabelle from the other side of the door. A muffled groan was the only response. Isabelle sighed in frustration.

"No luck, huh?" Jace asked. Isabelle looked very unamused when she glanced back at him. He only shrugged and walked off to find something to do.

The girl's shoulders sagged. She leant her head against her brother's door, giving up. "Alec, I know you're hurt and feeling sad, but you have to come out and eat. Wasting your life away is not going to help anyone. You've defeated so many demons, but you're letting some warlock ruin your life? That's not my brother. I want my brother back." And with that, Isabelle went back to the kitchen.

Alec stared at his ceiling. Nothing could help him now. He was drowning in his own sorrow. Tears splashed down his cheeks as he thought of all the wonderful times he had spent with Magnus. Before he could stop himself, he slipped into a flashback of one of those said moments.

Alec stood next to Magnus, his head nestled into the warlock's neck. "I love you," he whispered into his lover's ear. Magnus smiled, hugging his arm closer around Alec's shoulders.

"As I love you," he replied. Magnus led them farther down the crowded New York street. People passed by them, not even giving a second glance. Alec still couldn't get used to the fact that their relationship was accepted and considered normal to the mundane world. "Calm down, we're fine," Magnus murmured into his ear.

Alec smiled. "I know," he whispered back, "but I still feel weird about it. If we were in Idris, we'd be stoned to death by now." Magnus gave a short, soft laugh that sent vibrations through Alec's body. He couldn't help but smile in return. They kept walking in a loving silence. The sky had grown dark, leaving the street lights to bathe them in light.

"I can show you the stars sometime," Magnus said after a few minutes.

"You mean take me out of the city, far, far away where the blazing lights don't mask them?" Alec asked sarcastically.

Magnus chuckled. "No. We don't have to leave the city."

Alec eyed him like he was crazy. "I know you're the High Warlock of Brooklyn and all, but I'm pretty sure it would take a lot of magic to make the stars show up around here."

The warlock only smirked. "One word: Stargazer. There's an Observatory used for that downtown."

Alec laughed at his own stupidity. "Oh."

"Yah 'Oh'," Magnus teased. They were both laughing.

"Why do you want to show me the stars?" Alec asked after they had stopped laughing.

Magnus stopped walking and turned to look at him. "I wanted to show you how bright they burned.

I wanted to tell you that if our love were the stars, not even New York's lights could blot it out. And if somehow they managed to dim our light, there would always be a way for us to see our love shine brightly."   {so gay lol sorry, I'm ruining the moment, carry on}

Alec stared at him for a few moments. Tears were brimming his eyes. "Magnus, that was the most romantic thing I have ever heard. And to think that you meant it for me." He smiled and wrapped his arms around the warlock's neck. In turn, Magnus pulled Alec to him and hugged him close. Their mouths were centimetres apart, their breath mixing.

"I love you," Alec whispered again, wishing nothing more than to emphasise it so he never forgets.

"And I lo-" Magnus was cut off as Alec pressed his lips firmly against the warlock's.

Alec forced himself to stop thinking about him. It's over. He broke your heart, boo hoo, now forget about him. But he knew that was futile. His heart would always beat for his cat-eyed warlock.