The Search for Nicholas Flammel

The last day of term was fast approaching and the students returning home for the holidays were beginning to pack up their things. And y/n would be doing just that if wasn't for an owl she received at breakfast. Her Grandmother had written to her to tell her that she had decided to go with the WSA (Women's Squib Association) on a retreat for Christmas, leaving y/n to stay at Hogwarts. She had been so excited to see her Grandma again. She was going to run up to her at the station and then they would go out for afternoon tea somewhere before going home and preparing Christmas dinner for the two of them. But now she was left here. But she thought it would be interesting to stay in a castle for Christmas, with all the ghosts and hardly any of the students there, it was the perfect scenario to do some exploring. But she would have loved to be with her Grandma on Christmas morning.

Luckily she wouldn't be alone, though. Harry was staying at school as well, and she didn't blame him for wanting to stay away from his muggle family, from what she heard they sounded horrible. Ron's plans were changed last minute as well. His parents were going to Romania to visit his adult brother Charlie who was studying dragons there. y/n was absolutely fascinated

"So did he always want to study dragons? Or did he just do it on a whim? What sort is up there? Are they dangerous? Can he ride them? Do they-"

"y/n calm down! I just know that he works with them!" Ron cut y/n off before she could go on any further "I'm sure you could meet him one day and he could answer them for you."

"Really?!" y/n exclaimed her face lighting up "That would be awesome! He has such a cool job!"

"Yeah, but we don't see him very often, which is why Mum and Dad are going up there, but it was too expensive to bring Fred, George Percy and I so they're leaving us here this year" Ron's face dropped. y/n knew that his family was nowhere near the richest, but she would give away all her money to have a family like his.

There were no other students apart from the Weasely brothers, Harry, and y/n who were staying this year, And y/n felt very singled out for being the only girl and the only Slytherin staying. And Malfoy made sure to point this out.

"I almost feel sorry for the kids that have to stay at Hogwarts over Christmas because their family doesn't want them," Draco said rather loudly during potions, so that y/n, Ron and Harry could hear it. y/n was working with Harry and she was about to punch him right in his nose for the three of them when Harry nudged her, giving her look as if to say 'he's not worth it" which he wasn't. y/n took a deep breath and continued to grind her lionfish spine.

They left the dungeons when the bell rang but found their path blocked by a large fir tree, still covered in snow, and a pair of large feet underneath it. "Hey Hagrid, want some help?" Ron offered. sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm alright, thanks, Ron"

"Is this going to take much longer? I have places to be you know" Malfoy drawled behind them 

"Oh, are you trying to earn some extra money Weasely? I wouldn't be surprised if you became gamekeeper yourself, that hut must seem like a palace compared to your family's shack"

Ron dived at Malfoy in a rage and the two pre-teen boys began brawling. y/n rolled her eyes, she really did just want to get to her next class without having to deal with this drama. Then Snape came down the staircase and saw the two boys on the ground.

"WEASELY!"

Ron let go of Malfoy and quickly got to his feet, not bothering to help Malfoy up.
"He was provoked professor Snape," said Hagrid appearing from behind the huge tree "Malfoy was insultin' his family""Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid" Snape replied silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasely, and be thankful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."