The Orphaned Girl

The warm, morning sun gleamed through the bedroom window as it rose to start the day. A golden ray landed on y/n's face stirring her from her dream and prying her eyes open. She looked over to her bedside table to check the time, 6:47 it read. Trying to protest the day ahead, she turned away from the window and snuggled deeper into her duvet. Unfortunately, she was well and truly awake. y/n sat up and rubbed her eyes, removing the lingering sleep. She stared out the window to observe the old silver birch trees swaying slightly in the summer breeze. The forest seemed very attractive today and gave y/n an urge to explore even further into it.

She climbed out of her bed and flinched at the cold floorboards, odd, it was at least 25 degrees outside, and it was the middle Summer. Y/n dismissed the thought and slipped on her slippers to venture down the stairs of her manor in search of breakfast. The halls were uncharacteristically cold as well and it seemed too dark, considering the warm light pouring through the windows. She stopped in front of her grandma's room and quietly opened the door to peer in. She was still asleep unsurprisingly, it was very early. Y/n smiled then closed the door to give her grandma some peace and quiet. She continued to venture down the stairs, past the sitting room and the music room, through the dining hall and into the kitchen. 

She made herself an egg on toast and brewed a strong cup of tea with two sugars. Y/n quickly ate and then left a note saying she would be in the woods and would come back for lunch. Y/n changed into some comfortable clothes and packed some essentials in her rucksack. She exited through the back door and jumped the wall separating their land from the forest.

Fallen leaves and twigs crunched under her boots as she went deeper into the woods. It was serene and quiet at this time in the morning. The birds were just waking up and singing peaceful songs that drifted through the air. The sound of nature allowed her to take her mind off things, it was her parent's death anniversary tomorrow, 11 years since they were killed. 

It was nearing the end of the war but at the time it seemed like He Who Must Not Be Named was just about to win. He and his followers were going around, killing off anyone who fought against him or stood in his way of power. Her parents were one of the many witches and wizards who was trying to stop him in his murderous endeavour. She was only a baby at the time. Voldemort had found her family who had been in hiding since her birth, her parents had left y/n with her grandma in London, a squib who seemingly blended in with the rest of the muggle population. That night, her parents died. After Voldemort was defeated by Harry Potter, a baby at the time, she and her Grandma moved back into their manor on the outskirts of a forest. It was peaceful, and they had each other.

After around an hour of walking, y/n found herself in a part of the forest that was unfamiliar, she looked around at her new surroundings, her e/c eyes darting from tree to tree in search of something exciting. She continued on her trek through the woods until she found herself under a magnificent oak tree. Its trunk was very thick, at least three meters in diameter and its limbs stretched up higher than any other tree. Excitement filled y/n as she began to climb the huge oak. She carefully placed her feet on the ridges of branches and pulled herself through the leaves until she found a nice group of branches to sit in. She leant back into the wood of the tree and let out a satisfied sigh. 

She took out an apple from her rucksack, craving the energy after her climb. Just as she was about to take a bite, she heard a rustling just above her. Y/n lifted her head to greet the grey owl perched on a branch, it had piercing golden eyes that looked at her with awe. y/n was amazed that the animal had come so near to her when she saw the envelope attached to its right leg. She carefully stood up and untied it from the bird's leg. She read the writing, scribbled on the backside:

y/fn
High in a Tree
Ingatestone
Essex

y/n's eye glared confused at the specific address then looked back to the bird still happily sat on the branch, now preening its feathers. y/n turned over the envelope to open it. It was sealed with a red wax shield with a large "H" in the centre. Intrigued, y/n ripped the envelope open and took out the letter, it read:

Dear Miss l/n
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress

y/n's heart jumped with the realisation of the letter's words. She jumped out of the tree and landed safely on the ground, she broke into a sprint and dashed through the trees, laughing with joy. The delivery owl flew above her following her home. y/n was going to Hogwarts.

------)OOO(------

Woohoo! The first chapter is done! It was pretty short, to begin with, but the rest should be over 1k. Hope you're enjoying it so far. You probably noticed the outfit I put up the top, I'm planning on doing that for most chapters, but if not an outfit, a song, or even just an image.

Have a good day loves ❤ 

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍