The Terrible Potions Partner

In the days to come, y/n was isolated in the Slytherin common room. Everyone was still angry about their loss to Gryffindor, and although most of the blame was directed onto Terrence, she was still receiving a lot of angry glares from the hardcore Quidditch fans. At breakfast, the older students would take up all the seats on purpose so she had to go sit with Gryffindor, which was awkward enough as it is. But she soon learned to get down to the great hall early and eat quickly.

The temperature began to fall as Christmas drew near and y/n could feel the holiday spirit as she walked down the halls to her class. Ghosts singing carols, glided down the corridors, and wreaths were hung up decorated with bells and baubles.

 y/n was on her way to potions and walked alone with her text book in hand. She entered the class room/dungeon and saw that most of the class was already there, her face fell when she saw that her usual spot next to Hermione was taken up by some Ravenclaw girl. She searched the room for another place to sit. And the only available seat was next to Draco Malfoy himself. Why does the universe hate me? she thought as she put her books down on the table and sat down.

Draco turned around from talking to his friends, Crabbe and Goyle, behind him to see who had arrived. He sneered at the sight of her and made a comment to the other boys making them all laugh, it was obviously about her. She tried to ignore them but oh how she wished she could hex him right then and there. Her violent thoughts were cut off by Snape's entrance. 

"Today you will be brewing a simple fire immunity potion, but since this is still a more complicated potion and I doubt many of you would be able to complete it properly, you will be working with the student next to you. The recipe is on page 116, get to work" He ordered

y/n looked at Draco next to her who was looking at her with the same amount of annoyance. she rolled her eyes.

"Look Malfoy, I don't want to work you, you don't want to work me, but just help me and try not to stuff it up, " y/n said as she opened up the book to the recipe.

"What makes you think I'll stuff it up? I'm second best in this class!" Draco shot back

"Take note of the "second" Malfoy" y/n countered with a snarl. Yes, Draco was good at potions, but that was only because Professor Snape favoured him because of his ties to the Malfoy family. He would always come over and fix up his potions when he did stuff them up but went off at anyone else. y/n was the best because of her pure talent in the class.

Draco muttered something rude under his breath and got up to collect the ingredients, meanwhile, y/n set up the cauldron and read over the method. Snape wasn't lying it was very complicated, but nothing she couldn't handle. Draco returned with about a dozen odd and unusual ingredients and lazily dropped them onto the table. 

"Right then, what do you do?" he said carelessly, he really didn't want to be in that class. 

"Okay, so cut up the albino rats tail into three even pieces and put one in the cauldron at five-minute intervals stirring anti-clockwise and keeping the heat at exactly 164 degrees" y/n explained whilst reading from the book. Draco groaned and began sloppily cutting up the rat tail. Please cut off a finger, please cut off a finger. 

Once he had dissected the tail he handed it to y/n without a word who began adding it to the potion. It continued like this, with y/n reading out the instructions, Draco groaning and then handing the ingredients to y/n who would add it to the potion.

They had been brewing for about 30 minutes and Seamus and Dean's potion had already exploded twice. y/n and Draco's potion was almost done but y/n saw that they were missing the grounded porcupine quills.