XVII

Because a man plays a king superbly well does not mean that he would make a good king.

-Louis L'Amour, Comstock Lode

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

-Isaiah 55:9

When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.

-Psalm 27:10

________________________________________________________

"But he must!"

"He will agree to it, will he not?"

"Quiet!" Oropher's voice boomed throughout the council chamber. Everyone fell deathly silent. "Many times I have spoke this, and to this I hold true. My son will marry for love and naught else. I agree that sometimes arranged marriages can create agreeable political alliances, but in the end, all will run awry. Elves are not meant to marry forcibly, that is not how we are created. Love, my fellow people! What know you of love? Would you trade it for an alliance that could be broken?"

Like lectured elflings, all stared up at the king, who had now risen from his seat.

With a wicked smile, one elf stood up. "Love? Love is for weaklings. Prince Thranduil has a good heart, a soft one." He paused, and continued with a harsher tone. "That heart will make him a terrible king. Powerful rulers rule in fear, not love!"

"Do you love? Do you know what love is like?"

"Are you implying that I do not know a thing about love? How dare you! I am married with two beautiful daughters!"

"Good, good. Now, your daughters. Would you marry them off to an ellon they knew absolutely nothing of? Would you force them into a marriage?"

"Of course not!"

"Then why does it make a difference with my son?" Oropher spat. "Tell me, will you?"

"He is an ellon. He would get over it soon enough."

"But he is still an elf, correct?" The disrespectful elf nodded. "Then why does he deserve less treatment. For all you know, he may love another! And then that marriage would be utterly useless, not even yielding political benefits!"

"In case you wondered, I would give one of my daughters up if they were to marry a prince. I have made this offer before, and I make it again. The Prince Thranduil is more than welcome to marry one of my daughters."

The Elvenking internally groaned, and flung his hands irritatedly. "Go! All of you, this meeting is adjourned!"

He was completely finished putting up with the ridiculous elves who threw their daughters at his son, in desperation to gain higher social standing and power. The king feared for Mirkwood if any of those should come to power. Often had he threatened his son with an arranged marriage, but never would he make such a threat reality. Oropher knew how Thranduil grew closer to the elleth with blue eyes who trained to be a healer. He knew that his son hand found love, and he knew how wrong it would be to tear them apart.

The prince did have a soft heart, and Oropher thought it would bring him pain. Something he never wanted him to face. The king once was tender-hearted, trusting many, helping many. This was all before he became king, for then he realised that such actions would not bring him far, only bring hurt and inconveniences. Often Oropher tried to snap his son from his openness and desire to help all, knowing that some did not appreciate him, and they may do much to take that crown away.