XII

A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.

- Elbert Hubbard

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

- John 15:13

_________________________________________________________

"Why did you do that?" she asked dazedly, completely baffled at what had just occurred.

"Why did I? I-I do not know," he stuttered, even though he knew very well why. It was clear to all who were around him, and now it was also clear to him.

"You really do not?" she inquired, disappointed at his response.

"No. Do you know?"

Swallowing all the courage she had, she took a deep breath and said, "I think you do know." He twisted uncomfortably. This was absolutely not how he imagined this moment to go.

"What is it then? Why did I do that?" he asked. In reality, he was afraid of telling her, in fear that somehow he would be rejected. That was something the proud prince was not willing to face.

"I do not know how to tell you. I mean- oh, I do not know! I think I do!" Realising she was rambling again, she stopped and spoke up boldly again, "Why did you kiss me?"

Looking at the ground, face flushed, Thranduil muttered, "Why did you kiss me back?"

The elleth in front of him stared into his grey eyes for a moment, then looked away. She wanted him to tell her first. After all, he did kiss her. Neither elf spoke, and the silence between them almost became unbearable.

"You tell me why you kissed me, and I tell you why I-well, reciprocated it. Right." she told him. That was not a bargain she really wanted. What she wanted was to tell him everything she loved about him, and how much she valued their friendship. Most importantly, she wanted him to know how she knew he was the one for her. They both had run from their feelings, dismissing it as friendship, but she was going to put a stop to it. These lies needed to end.

Bregoliel fell in love with Thranduil more and more each day, and he with her. Both were terrified of what would happen, and the ridiculous prince of Mirkwood almost convinced himself that she was not the one, no matter how winsome her smile was or how taking her eyes were. Almost. Obviously, he failed miserably, for in this moment he was staring right into her blue eyes, the kiss replaying in his head. It was like she had him in a trance, but then again, she was captive to his charm as well. Thranduil suddenly realised she had just made a bargain for him to tell her why he kissed her, and he would accept it. What had he to lose?

"Very well. I suppose I should tell you," he said, regaining his way with words. "It is because I love you. I have ever since we first spoke, and though I told myself you were only a friend, you do not let me keep lying to myself. If I have to see your lovely face once more without knowing you love me back, then I may as well die," Thranduil stated openly.

"Well, in such a case as that, it seems that you will not be dying soon."

"You are avoiding a clear answer. You forget I do not appreciate your veering answers."

She smiled and impulsively took his calloused hand in hers. "You still wish to know why I kissed you back?" He nodded. "'Tis because I am subject to your charms. I cannot help falling in love with you, regardless of how hard I tried to pull myself out of this ocean you dragged me into." The elleth smiled widely, not caring that her face was redder than a tomato.

They said no more, only grinned happily at one another. Somehow Bregoliel found herself in Thranduil's embrace, which she settled into contentedly.