"Whitney back off, you know that isn't your seat, and the captain of the girl's soccer team should set a good example", a tall brunette came to my aid, and I couldn't help but feel grateful to the pixie. I dubbed my rescuer as pixie due to the short haircut that was framing her face, that and the fact that her features were so delicate.

"Whatever Olibia, I was just trying to make sure that fresh meat understood her place, no need to get all passionate about something besides your pom poms." Whitney held her arms up in a V, as if mocking a cheer leading pose. What a witch with a capital 'B'.

"Just buzz off Whitney, we both know that I am smarter than you, so don't take your inferior rank out on the squad. Not my fault that the guys like cheerleaders more." I like this girl.

The bell rang before Whitney could make a comeback, so she settled for a dirty look, and then walked up to the front of the room, sitting in her real seat with a sulking thud. She seems to be a girl I should avoid like the plague.

"Sorry about her, she is being even more sour than usual. She isn't usually that rude", Olibia rubs her neck uncomfortably, then extends her hand towards me. "My name is Olibia, but most people call me Libby. What's your name?" Grabbing my whiteboard, I scribble a short sentence in hot pink. 'Avianna, but I have been told that Avi is more fun to say'.

"Nice name, I take it you are the mute girl? Don't worry about Ms. Harold by the way, she is grieving her husband's recent departure, and she spends most of her time in the break room drinking coffee."

'Did her husband pass from a disease?'

Libby stifles a laugh at my response before managing to get out, "Nah, he left her sorry behind after he got tired of her insulting him too much." Well that sucks, but Libby seemed to think that she deserves it.

Libby was right about Ms. Harold not being an issue, she didn't really teach the class, after passing out a couple of worksheets, she left the room, leaving some know-it-all at the board. I never had to introduce myself.

***********

Soon our time in Calculus was up, and Libby waited for me to pack my stuff before walking to the door, where Kaylee was patiently waiting.

"Hey, Avi! Oh, hey Libby, how's the squad doing? I heard you guys finally made state, the routine must be killer." Kaylee's pink ponytail was swishing about, and it didn't take a rocket-scientist to realize that Libby was a cheerleader.

"We are doing really well Kaylee, I saw that the volleyball team made it to state as well, I think that our sports programs are really taking off!" I follow behind the two athletes, more than pleased that the two girls got along. They both seemed genuinely sweet, a rare trait to me.

"Avi, do you want to sit with me at lunch? Kaylee has to go and practice some more, but we have the same period. I can meet you by your Art class if you want." Libby's request took me by surprise, but I didn't hesitate before nodding. I needed all the support I could get at this school, because it was a pleasant change to actually have people to converse with, and not just sit in solitude.

'That would be nice', I write on the board, thankful for the means of communication. Kaylee and Libby finally parted ways, and my buddy finished escorting me to Art class, where I was met by an eccentric old man.

"Hello Avianna, my name is Mr. Winston and I will be your Art teacher for the remainder of the year, you can go sit at any empty desk, we believe in freedom of expression during my class." I don't know what freedom of expression has to do with my seat, so I just sat down by the window. We had gone up to the second floor, and the view from my seat was amazing. I dread the fact that I will be sharing the table, as some students are not as kind as Libby and Kaylee.

My discomfort was validated when one of the Ms. Snooty boys sat down beside me. This one was yelling at me earlier, the blue-eyed one with dark brown hair. The odor from his cologne nearly took out my nostrils, and I forced back a gag; this guy was trying way too hard. 

"Hey Mutie, are you ever going to answer Logan's question?" 

I look at him like he is an idiot, and he seems to understand. 

"He was the guy that asked if your name is Avianna, and you were being a Witch with a capital B, refusing to nod or shake your head, ring any bells?" I nod quickly, curious as to why somebody like him would be in art.

"So is your name Avianna or what?" I nod again, there is no reason for me to try beyond that, this guy is not somebody that I want to socialize with.

"My name's Aiden, and I just wanted to tell you to watch out. Outsiders have to earn their place at this school", his teeth grit together, and I decide on a nickname. Shower dial, or hot-n-cold. Showers have the temperamental faucets, that will either cause third degree burns, or frost bite, and he was most certainly as extreme as the stupid settings. This dude had not really taken the effort to know me, and I can't help thinking back to my status at my old school.

The prissy mute, a girl that is so high and mighty she refuses to talk. I would hear whispers in the hallways, saying stuff like, "She should know that no amount of designer skirts will make friends, nor will any amount of plastic surgery fix that scowl." Lots of people would comment on my neck scar, spreading rumors that it was a party gone wrong and that I was hoeing around with somebody else's boyfriend, making them cut my throat.

I personally think that the backstory was a little too extreme.

"So are you going to get started on the assignment daydreamer?" I was snapped out of my thoughts by hot-n-cold's pissed tone of voice. Without reacting or responding to the provoke, I look at the whiteboard and begin the assignment. I knew exactly what to draw for this prompt.

'Draw your biggest pet peeve or representation of your anger, this will be due next class'