epilogue

six months later

"i'm gonna miss you so much."

"Lukas you literally have a motorbike, you can ride up to the city to visit."

Lukas shoved Philip lightly. "it won't be the same, you dork."

they were outside Philip's home, Gabe was helping him bring everything down from his bedroom to Ezra's truck. the sun was shining so bright you had to squint to see five feet in front of you.

"that's the last one," Gabe said patting the closed trunk twice. "you're ready to go."

"finally," Ezra said. he had been sitting in his truck for the past ten minutes, watching Gabe haul everything inside with a grin on his face. he hated the sun, so no way was he gonna be dragging boxes and cases to and fro.

"alright," Philip said. he reached up and grabbed a handful of Lukas' hair, bringing him down for a quick, soft kiss. "i'll see you this weekend."

"promise," Lukas smiled.

Philip smiled. it had been six months since that awful night. he almost lost both of his moms, biological and foster. it was time for a change.

Philip looked back at the house — his second home — and sighed. "where's Helen?" he asked.

Gabe looked around and spotted her jogging towards them. his eyes went wide and he bounced from his spot, "Helen! you can't be jogging yet, remember?" he reached her and placed his arm under her shoulder, earning a light slap on the back of his head from Helen. she had a brace around her knee where Ryan had shot her. she was still recovering.

Helen rolled her eyes. "i wasn't gonna miss saying goodbye to Philip."

Philip laughed and engulfed her in a tight hug, stealing her away from Gabe's arms. "not goodbye forever, i hope?"

"of course not! your room will always be yours, and our doors will always be open to you," she grabbed hold of his cheek and pinched. "remember that."

"what about me, Ms. Torrance? am i invited to your home too?" Ezra shouted happily from his suv. Helen smiled and gave him a thumbs up. Ezra had been living with them since that night, too, helping around with Helen and Philip. he kind of became their second foster kid.

"alright, the sun is shining extra bright today, but it will be going down in a couple of hours," Gabe stepped in. "you boys best be going. Anne will not tolerate you guys being late for dinner."

Philip hugged Gabe tightly, and kissed Lukas one more time before getting on the death trap of Ezra's. his breath still faltered a little every time he got on, his nerves taking him back to that day.

"ready, Phillie?" Ezra put the suv on drive mode and stepped on the pedal slowly. Philip nodded.

he stared at the rear view mirror, watching as Lukas, Helen, and Gabe faded into the distance. they were headed to his mom's place. after the whole ordeal with the OD and Ryan, she managed to pull through. the doctors were informed that it wasn't intentional, that someone else had put her in that state, so after a 72-hour hold, they released Anne back to her rehab — with extra security. she finished her time there a month ago and was now squeaky clean. the judge ordered her capable of raising Philip soon after.

now, Ezra and himself were moving back to the city. Helen and Gabe understood. Lukas did too, but he was still upset he wasn't going to be able to see Philip every day. Helen promised to take Lukas along every time she came over to visit Philip.

despite their tough start, Philip and Helen ended up getting along. he went over to the hospital to visit her as much as he could and he helped with her therapy. that day with Ryan, he'd managed to get Helen on the knee with a bullet. Helen got her gun and emptied the magazine on him, not blinking twice. Tony had come rushing three minutes later with EMT's tailing him. they were lucky they found them so quickly, if not Helen would've probably bled to death. they transferred everyone back to Anne's hospital, rushed Helen into surgery and treated Philip and Lukas for shock.

Ryan, on the other hand, was pronounced dead at 4:32 am by the same paramedics. neither Helen nor Philip nor Lukas shed a tear.

now Helen worked desk duty while she rested, and handed her Sheriff badge to Tony temporarily.

these past six months had been full of love and support and recovery. things would never be the same again, true, but none of them would want them to be.

Philip had gained so much — a new family, a boyfriend, and a bond with Ezra and his mom that was stronger than before — and he knew if they were to ask him if he regretted anything, he'd say no in a heartbeat.

holy fuck it's over guys !! idk if this is the ending y'all wanted but it's how i wanted it bc Anne is alive and Helen and Gabe are ok and Ryan is dead.

i hope you guys liked it bc i sure as hell loved writing it !

love you guys + thanks for reading !

comment/vote/follow

[also unedited oops]