seven

I'M JUST SOME DUMB KID TRYING TO KID MYSELF THAT I GOT MY SHIT TOGETHER

━━━

Helen [received 6:45 am]:
Philip, where are you??
you didn't come home last night,
are you okay??
read 6:50 am

Me [sent › Helen 6:51 am]
yeah, fine.
i'm with a friend, that's all.
you can track my phone if you're so worried.
read 6:51 am

━━━

fuck.

"woah, woah. back up, mate." Ezra - who was sitting opposite Philip on Sita's dining table - stared at Philip with wide eyes and a spoonful of cereal halfway to his mouth. "you told who what?"

Philip sighed and rolled his eyes. it was the morning after, and he'd decided it would be best to tell Ezra about what happened yesterday while they ate breakfast. it would be safer than in the car, just in case Ezra got distracted and all.

"i told this guy you were my boyfriend," Philip muttered, not extremely proud of his actions. Ezra brought down his spoon and took a swing of his orange juice. he stood up and went to the trash, throwing away the remaining of his cereal. he placed the plate and spoon on the sink and made his way to Philip.

Philip gave him a look which made Ezra stop dead in his tracks, turn around, and wash his plate.

once he was finished, he went to fetch his car keys and motioned for Philip to head to the car.

the wind outside was cold, making him shiver. he pulled Ezra's sweater closer to him. they'd fallen asleep on Sita's couch last night without even knowing, and they didn't wake up early enough today for Philip to get a chance of going back to the house, so Ezra offered to lend him something clean. it wasn't as if they hadn't shared clothes before.

"alright. so, what do i do?" Ezra turned up the heat in the car - Philip was surprised it worked - and turned to him.

it took Philip a few seconds to realize he was talking about the boyfriend thing. "um, i don't know. nothing really. just hug me or hold my hand when he's around."

Ezra chuckled, earning a quizzical look from Philip. "you know, if you want to make this believable, we'll have to do more than that," he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. "we'll have to be together 24-7."

"aren't we like that already?"

Ezra smiled, "yes, but we might wanna try getting more physical."

why did he have go tell Lukas he had a boyfriend? boyfriend things were complicated.

he mumbled a quiet "okay" before leaning against the car door, staring out the window at the passing trees.

this town was beautiful, and as far as foster homes go, it was really serene. the first few weeks were rough for him, moving here was such a huge environmental change. back in the city, you had neighbors a few feet away from your house, and it was very rare having a quiet night without police sirens or music blaring away. here, Helen and Gabe didn't even have other neighbors in sight, and everything was so quiet aside from birds and whatnot.