fourteen

NOT READY TO BE FOUND

━━━

the yellow tape Camila had made Helen set up was still in place, in fact, almost everything hadn't been disturbed.

everything except for the suv that belonged to Ezra.

there were two additional patrols along with Tony and Helen searching the perimeter. Tony kept begging for Helen to stay in the car, to not go off without anyone as backup. Helen was lucky to even be allowed to stay there considering it was her foster son being held hostage.

Helen had called Gabe right after her phone call with Ryan had ended. he'd been shocked and said he'd be there as quick as possible, which Helen dismissed because a. he was still considered a civilian and putting him in danger was a huge no, and b. Helen needed to know that at least Gabe was safe some miles away in a hospital looking over Anne.

radio chatter flooded Helen's ears. she could stand it no longer. she walked away and leaned against a tree, phone in hand already calling Philip. he picked up on the second ring.

"i can hear your sirens, Helen."

Helen inhaled a sharp breath, "are the boys alright, Ryan?" everyone behind her was hustling about — strapping themselves with vests and grabbing their guns — so nobody noticed her slipping away. she heard Ryan chuckle on the other end of the line. it made her sick. "they're fine, sheriff. in fact, here. talk to blondie."

there was silence, followed by a weak, shaky voice saying, "Helen? please hurry. please."

"Lukas? Lukas, are you okay? what's going on?" Helen glanced at the frenzy behind her. no one noticed she was gone — good.

the sky was dark, a few clouds littered around it. the moonlight was streaming down making the leaves shimmer, and the grass was crunching under Helen's feet. there were a couple of crickets chirping. the trees were jagged and its surroundings lush. everything thrown in together made the whole scene picturesque.

Philip would love this, she thought. he would love taking pictures of this.

"i'm fine — we're fine. just, please—" the line went dead. Helen cursed.

she shoved the phone back in her pocket and drew out her gun. Ryan had said he'd heard the sirens, meaning he must be close by.  time to search.

━━━

Philip was pressed against Lukas, both held at gunpoint backed up against a tree. this was definitely not how he imagined being close to Lukas.

Ryan was surprisingly clam, his hand never shaking. he was staring off into the river on his left but the end of the gun never left both of the boys. Philip knew this was all a bluff. Ryan would never shoot unarmed teens, right? he isn't that stupid.

Lukas' fingers were intertwined with his own, giving him reassuring squeezes here and here. "i'm sorry, Philip," he said.

Philip almost couldn't speak. "you're sorry?" he started shaking his head. "this is not your fault."

"i could've told you to run before you got in the car, or-- or something."