Chapter 2 - The hideout

Chapter 2: The Hideout

The clock ticked nine and as promised Jared was outside my door step. He was wearing a black leather jacket and I could see a white top, his jeans were ripped and his hair was as messy as ever. Despite the high emotions I had been feeling my heart skipped a beat. Jared smiled at me like he always does, and for some reason I finally felt safe. He got out of the car and opened the door for me. How could I have failed to notice the car? It was a sleek red convertible and despite me having no knowledge on this subject I knew it was expensive. I must have looked stupid staring at him and his car but he didn’t show it if I did, instead he politely said “Shall we?”

I got in and then noticed Carl and Aaron in the backseat while Jared and I sat at the front.

“Hey Eva” They said brightly in unison.

“Hi Carl and Aaron” I replied expertly matching their enthusiasm. Then there was silence. That was possibly the longest drive I had ever had to sit through. Jared’s usually happy face was now a frown, and his friends were shifting nervously in their seats. Too exhausted I decided against lightning the mood by attempting to talk, plus I was a useless conversationalist. 

Finally we had arrived, but the mood didn’t get any better. Like a true gentleman Jared quickly got out of the car and opened the car door for me. He led me to a huge run down building, the windows were broken and there was a lot of graffiti on the walls. The whole place was eerie and the moon light and the wind blowing against the trees certainly did not help. We got inside the building which was just a large hall with old tools and furniture scattered around which were covered with a thick layers of dust and cob webs. At the end of the hall there was door, walking to it made the floorboards creek and I got a terrible feeling that we were going to fall through. “It’s safe, don’t worry” Jared whispered as he held my hand. Immediately I let go of it. Carl and Aaron seemed shocked that I had rejected Jared’s hand but we were just friends I needed that to be known. Thankfully Jared seemed to understand. He opened the door and the sight that I saw startled me.

There was the biggest hall I have ever seen in my life bustling with young people varying from about 12 years of age to 30. There were cars parked to the side, motorbikes and cycles too. Over in one corner there were weapons of every shape and size, guns, knives, baseball bats you name it. There were some pillows and beds in the other corner and that area had been divided into section separating everyone’s sleeping area. From what I could gather there were about a 200 people, talking, laughing, some were having fights, while other fixed cars and try out weaponry on dummies. I even noticed a kid who lay bleeding while this older guy tried to take the bullet out.

So you can’t really blame me for the way that I reacted. I simply froze. What. The. Hell. Those three words were solely what were going through my mind. No wonder Jared wanted to hold my hand. This time I reached out for his hand and he took it gratefully. Rigidly we made our way through the hall, which had been deafeningly noisier before but now silent. People stopped what they were doing; all those that were sitting down hurriedly stood up and stared at us intently, even the boy with the bullet in his leg leaned over so that he could get a better look. Blushing I focused my eyes on the floor and concentrated on not tripping over. Why were they looking? The crowd of people quickly formed a gap so that we could get through. They all nodded respectfully at Jared and I even saw a couple of them saluting and lifting their hats. Then it hit me. Jared was the leader of this gang. Involuntarily my grip on his hand slackened and he knew that I had found out. Our pace quickened and Jared led me to a room, behind me I heard the hall erupt with sound as soon as Carl shut the door. This room was completely opposite to the hall. It was elegant and beautiful, with a king-sized bed, dressing table and other mahogany furniture complete with lush carpet.  Again I was surprised but my anger was rising. I noticed Jared had tensed next to me.

Carl and Aaron had followed us in and Jared looking at me with a guilty expression ordered them to leave. They didn’t need to be told twice.

“So you’re the leader eh?” I confronted him immediately. He nodded, looking uncomfortable. “And you didn’t think it was important for me to know? I have just run away from home Jared! How could you not tell me? Did you forget? How can I trust you! Flipping hell look at me when I am talking to you!” my voice was getting louder and louder, in response to my rant Jared did turn around to look at me.  

“I’m sorry Eva, truly I am. I didn’t mean to deceive you but I couldn’t bring myself to tell you who I was because I was worried I would scare you off or you would hate me. You looked so sad sitting by yourself and I wanted to be your friend, to help you. I thought that you would find out by yourself but you didn’t.” Jared looked so serious so I couldn’t stop myself from believing him. His words had cooled me down and I knew he meant no harm but nothing could take away the fact that he was a leader of a gang.

“Being the leader and all, have you ever killed anyone?” I asked looking down, I realised how naive I sounded but I needed to know. “Eva... ” he started.

“Just tell me Jared”

“Yes I have, but always for good reason” He replied, his eyes burning into me.

I felt my stomach turn, he had murdered several times. What had I got myself into?

There was a knock on the door, it was Carl who whispered something in Jared’s ear, who sighed and then replied “later”. Gang business I guessed. It was hard to come to terms with this stuff. Jared then looked over to me his expressions softening again.

“Eva this is going to be your room.” He said polite as ever.

“Why do I get such an amazing room?” I enquired.

“Its coz’ you’re our boss’s girl” Carl replied enthusiastically.

So everybody thought I was his girl?

 I was stunned, but before I had time to gather my thoughts Jared punched Carl hard on the face sending him crashing into the dressing table. “She is nobody’s girl, get it?” he murmured, which made him seem more deadly. Carl staggered up rubbing his head, his bottom lip was bleeding and Jared’s ring had made an angry mark on his face. “Sorry boss” he said nervously flinching away from Jared, frightened that he was going to hit him again, but Jared only told him to get out.

“Oh my god” Were the only words I could muster.

“Damn, sorry, I didn’t mean to...it’s just...” Jared stuttered as it finally dawned upon him that I was also present in the room.

“I thought that he was you friend!” I said shocked.

“No he is just my body guard” he said shrugging.

“Even so, that was cold”

“It won’t happen again, I lost control...”

“It won’t happen again in front of me, or it won’t happen again at all?”

“It won’t happen in front of you”

I was fuming, but then I realised my situation. Jared was the leader here, and I had just stepped into his world. Who was I to start changing it, after all towards me he had been nothing but kind.

“I guess I could live with that” I replied with a sudden change in tone.

“Thank you Eva” he said, his tone was light, like a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders, “you scared me for a second, I have never seen you that angry! You must be hungry; I’ll get you some food. Oh and I’ll get your dresser fixed”. I glanced toward the dresser; Carl’s fall had broken it.