Chapter 4 - No sleep.

The nagging feeling in my stomach didn’t allow me to sleep. Tossing and turning, I thought of my poor mother with my brute of a father. I told myself that I was doing the right thing, by running away. That it would save her, but I was just saving myself. A tear ran down my eye as I hugged the covers closer to me. Deciding I had to do something I went to find Jared.

It was easy enough finding him because while the rest of the gang members slept on bunk beds and in the big hall, I was aware that he had an office and a room.

The darkness loomed over me, tempting me to go back to the safely of my room. I reasoned with myself that at least Jared knew me, and he was the leader of this gang and therefore I should be safe. At last I found what looked like his room, the door was closed but you could see that the room was dimly lit. As I approached the room I heard hushed voices.

“Please don’t do this” It was a girl; she sounded like she was crying. “I have given you everything I have.” There was no response from the other person as the girl went on.

“It’s because of her isn’t it? People say you are in love with her.”

“I don’t have to prove anything to anyone” Jared finally spoke up. “And if you won’t leave then I will see myself out.”

Jared was getting up and leaving, walking towards where I was standing. Before I could make myself scarce Jared had walked out of his room and nearly into me.

“Eva” he said simply, his eyes staring into me.  I gulped.

“I couldn’t sleep” was my only reply. His expressions softened, as he enveloped me in his arms, hugging me tightly. I hugged him back, enjoying the smell of his perfume.

“It’s going to be okay” he said burying his face into my hair.

“I know” I said. And right there, right then, I knew it really was going to be okay.  

Neither of us noticed a stunning blonde leave Jared's room.