Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, it’ll be good to actually see a campus, you know, like a real one not just Beacon Hills Community College.” He said, resting his elbow on the crook of the window.

“You know you could have invited Scott, or Derek if you didn’t want to spend the weekend hanging out with your old man.” He said and Stiles chuckled.

“Well I’d hardly call you old… not really anyway.”

“Careful there kid.” His dad smiled.

Stiles sighed. “Well I did invite Derek but he’s not so thrilled about the whole twelve hours away thing, and Scott doesn’t really want to be too far away either.” The sheriff just nodded. “Plus there are plenty more weekends to go on a college road trip with my friends, hell, Isaac’s friend Cassie said she’d give us the guided tour of Denver if we ever decided to go.”

“She the one who sits on the floor of the spare office down at the station surrounded by mounds of our old files?” He asked.

“Sounds about right, thanks for doing that by the way. She seems to mean a lot to Isaac. You know how old friends are.” Stiles said. “What do you think of her by the way?”

“No problem, and she seems like a nice girl. She sure does ask a lot of questions though.” He said with a smile and Stiles went to apologise but he just shrugged. “Hey, that’s a good quality for someone wanting to get into my line of work, too bad I can't tell her half of the things she wants to know, some of those cases are still open.” He seemed to sigh a little at that. “Most of them are cold cases by now though.”

Stiles felt a pang of guilt. He knew that a lot of those old unexplained attacks and killings were probably the work of werewolves and it was sitting right under the sheriff’s nose. Literally, between Scott and Derek and all the things that happen to Stiles because of supernatural forces, it’s a wonder he hasn’t suspected anything abnormal.

“That boyfriend of hers is a little quiet. I don’t think he likes all the paperwork. They’d make a good pairing if they joined the force, there’s always one who loves to sit and go over the details. She’s passionate, I’ll give her that.”

“Well that makes me feel better about recommending a total stranger to you.” Stiles smiled.

“She had some papers and a letter from her professor in Denver anyway. We don’t just let anyone in to the precinct.”

“I don’t know, I’ve been in there a few times.”

“I said ‘let them in’ Stiles, having them break in is an entirely different thing.” The sheriff chuckled.

“To be fair I never broke in… I borrowed your keys.”

“Oh borrowed, is that what you call it?”

“Next subject.” Stiles said with a grin.

“You want to stop for burgers in an hour?”

“Are you kidding? I’m freaking starved.”

Derek wasn’t stupid. There was no way he would ignore the message he had gotten from Katherine, but there was no way he was going to go alone either.

He thought about calling Isaac back but changed his mind, knowing that he relied on him far too much. His next thought was Scott, but even though this was important Isaac had told him that Scott was studying most of the weekend.

He thought about how he was possibly ruining someone’s plans on a Friday night but this was important.

He called Boyd but it went straight to voicemail – twice. He wouldn’t have worried if it had been anyone else but Boyd was usually on his calls in the first few rings.