Chapter 7: For Her Hand

The week went by in the blink of an eye. And neither of us had even mentioned Logan and I's plan to be married by the end of the year. I knew my mom and dad would approve of the man I chose, it was only the timing that would put an indefinite damper on things. The family was going out to our country house for Thanksgiving. It really wasn't even a country house, more of a small lean-to that had water and electricity but needed extensive work due to old age and termite damage. The ride up to the ranch house was quiet, with our comfortable stillness. Occasionally with me and Logan exchanging looks of a surety, knowing this was the best choice. The land this time of year was green with hints of brown in the grass. The pasture was tilled with rolling mounds of  rich earth. This was the one place on earth where I truly felt alive, a place where I could really be myself. Rolling up the long gravel driveway is a sound I've always loved to hear. I sighed, relaxing as I looked onto the rich lush garden and the bare but inviting trees, with chairs sitting underneath them. We stepped out, our feet hitting the damp gravel and onto the rain ridden grass from the previous hour. The air was intoxicating, but the best kind of intoxication. The kind of tranquility, it wrapped itself around me, made me feel at home and welcome. Walking around the front of the truck I see Logan. His eyes closed, body unclenched. The feeling of the biting cold breeze moving over his face was like that hand of an old lover, something he had missed, something he had forgotten, and desperately wanted again. Peace seemed to seep into his very spirit, it relaxed him as much as it did me. "There you guys are!" I heard the more than familiar voice of my sister Kk, as she ran up to us. "Everyone's been waiting for you guys so we can eat!" She huffed folding her arms, clearly fed up with having to have waited for us to arrive. I looked at her briefly, rolling my eyes at her. "You haven't eaten since last night, Have you?" I Stood back, now folding my arms after making my comment. "So what if I haven't. Its tradition!" She stood a little longer unfolding her arms and relaxing her posture. "Anyway, what took you guys so long?" My body tensed, shoulders tightening at her question. "Well we had to, talk about a few things before we came." I replied, shifting my body language around so much that someone as close as me and my sister recognized immediately. "Oh, you guys are doing that today?" Her eyes going wide.  I shifted my eyes to Logan. His gaze never leaving mine, giving me the smallest of grins, telling me it was alright to tell. I caught my sisters sight again. "Yes, we're telling everyone today." Like that, a wave of relief washed over me. Kk stood there with a somewhat happy look on her face, but also one of worry and sorrow. I glanced at Logan again giving him a look saying this was a sister moment, and we needed some space. He understood, and seemed to just drift out of sight. 

Before we went to the institute, before we got our powers. It was always just us. Sisters. Always so close, never wanting to go through anything alone ever, not even thinking about the possibility of either of us finding men to marry. We stood quietly for some time, letting the sounds of the land be the only things on our minds. "I didn't think it would happen this fast." She spoke first. My heart fell from the way she said it. "I didn't think this part of my life would come this fast, I thought I had another five years before this." I countered, smiling. A lump appearing in my throat, always at the most inopportune times. I closed the space between us, gripping her tightly. I've never ever been one for hugs, but this last year has changed me so much, I just couldn't keep it in anymore. I have to let the closest people to me know I love them, and that I won't leave them behind. She responded to the hug immediately, feeling her shake from the emotions running through both of us. "Why does this have to be so hard? Getting older, moving on in our lives? Starting families."  I thought it over, the idea always made me glum. I never wanted to be without my family or sister. "Because, we don't want to lose each other, we think this is it, we think the times of being close sisters is over." I stood back looking at my sweet little sister, my closest friend throughout my childhood. "I promise, I won't leave you behind, I'll always be there for you, for anything ever. Even the stupid stuff that you can figure out on your own." I laughed, Sniffling and wiping stray tears from my eyes. She took a little longer to get herself together, repeating the same process as myself. "Well you said it, if I need help with laundry or something dumb like having to bake a cake I'm calling you right up and bugging you, even in the most inconsiderate times." She giggled with me as we both hugged again, wiping the last of the tears from our cheeks and heading towards the little house.

Dinner went over swimmingly, the hard part was next. Everyone was passed out from the large yearly meal, My father had asked Logan to come outside with him to help him chop wood for a bon fire that we would have later that night. I looked at him, telling him he needed to ask for permission. He nodded at my look. My mission was to tell my mom, which was not the easiest of tasks. But she was understanding and sweet, but knowing my family a mountain of questions would follow.

Logan stepped outside with my dad, heading to the wood pile to get logs together for the coming night. My dad threw gloves toward Logan, him catching them with little to no problem. Next they took up their axes, and set to work. "I didn't want to say anything in front of Madelynn, but I couldn't help but notice you look a little old to be dating my daughter." My dad commented, giving a heavy blow to a good sized log. "We've never had anyone comment on that aspect, but were an odd couple, thats for sure." Logan replied waiting his turn for the chopping block. "I want to know what your intentions are with her. Because I don't want you messing around and hurting her, she's already had a hard enough time trying to find a guy that loves her." My father uttered, putting another log on the block. Logan sighed, waiting a few moments to say what he needed too. "Well sir, It's funny you say that, because, I was about to ask your blessing for your daughters hand in marriage." My father stopped right in the middle of a swing, obviously and completely caught off guard. "What? Wait. What?" Those words are all he knew how to say.  "Me and Madelynn have talked extensively about this, and we feel its the best course of action." Logan coolly explained. My dad rubbed his temples in confusion, everything seemed to hit him all at once. His little girl was getting married. "You've talked to her about this?" Logan nodded. "I don't want to say yes, but I don't want to say no. You Make her so happy when you're around. But you two have only been with each other for only a few months." He explained. "I know, Believe me when I say this. I've never rushed in head first into a relationship like this either, its definitely scared and challenged both of us." Logan waited for his response. My dad stood there thinking and pondering what his best way to handle this was. He rubbed the back of his neck and faced Logan dead on. "I'll give you my blessing. You two Love each other, kind of reminds me of when I married my wife. You two don't abuse one another from the looks of it." He sighed looking to the ground toying with the axe in his hand. "Just, make her happy, don't ever leave her." Logan nodded. "Yes sir, I won't. I'll make her the happiest I can." He put out his hand. My father took it, and they shook. I stood outside the house watching the entire exchange. I let out a sigh of relief, growing a little nervous but excited, my life was changing.