52| the astronomy tower

Start from the beginning

I kept my mouth shut for the rest of the way, mostly because I was in fear of what he might do to me. My heart pounded out of my chest and I couldn't even look at him. His eyes were black and his face was pale. He was turning into something Dark—and I didn't like it.

I was taken out of my thoughts when we stopped in the Astronomy Tower. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why was I here?

"You need to hide over here so nobody can see you. I'll do my business, and then we will both get what we want. Understand?" He said coldly.

I nodded shyly and quickly walked over to the tall stone wall—crouching down behind it. I heard voices, but they soon disappeared.

I watched as Draco pulled out his wand, and walked straight forward to.....Dumbledore? Oh no. This cannot be good.

"Good evening, Draco." Dumbledore said softly. "What brings you here on this fine spring evening?"

"Who else is here? I heard you talking." Draco spat, never once lowering his wand.

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful." He said. "Have you been whispering to yourself, Draco?

"Draco....what are you doing?" I whispered to myself. It looked like he was about to kill him. Draco could never kill him.

"Draco...you are no assassin." Dumbledore said.

"How do you know what I am? I've done things that would shock you." Draco said, causing my eyes to widen in fear.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that in return she would bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead like one laced with poison?" Dumbledore said.

I gasped, how could he do such a thing?

"Forgive me, Draco. I cannot help feeling these actions are so weak, your heart can't really have been in them." Dumbledore said.

"He trusts me. I was chosen." He said, sliding up his shirt revealing his Dark Mark.

I immediately shot my head away, not wanting to see the horrible tattoo that made him evil.

"Then I shall make it easy for you—" Dumbledore said, pulling out his wand.

"Expelliarmus!" Malfoy yelled, disarming Dumbledore.

"Very good. Very good." Dumbledore said.

All of a sudden, the bottom doors opened.

"You're not alone." He said, raising an eyebrow.

My heart began beating faster and faster.

"There are others...how?" Dumbledore asked.

"The Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement. I've been mending it." He said, standing his ground.

"Let me guess. It has a sister. A twin." Dumbledore said.

"In Borgin and Burkes. They form a passage." He said.

"Ingenious." Dumbledore said. "Draco, years ago I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please let me help you."

A tear slid down my cheek when Dumbledore said that. Draco was innocent. It was his parents who lead him on a path where he didn't belong. Seeing him up there, like this.....it just shattered my heart.

"I don't want your help! Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you. Or he's gonna kill me." He said, on the verge of crying.

I covered my hand over my mouth to stop any form of sound coming from it. Oh how badly did I just want to help him. How badly I wanted to tell him it was going to be okay. But things weren't okay.

As I was about to run up and stop him, Bellatrix appeared with two people behind her.

"Well, look what we have here." Bellatrix said, an evil smirk appearing on her pale face.

She slowly stepped towards Draco, rising the tension in the room.

"Well done, Draco." She whispered in his ear.

"Good evening, Belltrix." Dumbledore said from the other side of the tower. "I think introductions are in order, don't you?"

"Love to, Albus, but I'm afraid we're on a bit of a tight schedule." Bellatrix said, then looked over at Draco. "Where's the girl?"

Draco looked over at where I was sitting and pointed down at me.

"Y/n Clearwater!" Bellatrix said and smiled. "Come here."

I refused to move.

"Go grab her." She said to one of the bodyguards, who walked over to me and grabbed my arm, lifting me up and bringing me over to the scene.

I looked over at Draco, who looked even more tortured and broken as I got closer.

"Do it!" Bellatrix spat.

"He doesn't have the stomach, just like his father." The man holding me said. "Let me finish him my own way."

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, the boy has to do it." She stammered. "This is your moment, do it."

Draco's hand was shaking. I knew he did not want to do it.

Don't do it Draco. Please.

"Go on, Draco. Now!" She yelled, getting impatient.

As he was about to shoot, a rather familiar voice came out of the shadows.

"No." Snape said, taking Draco's place.

"Severus." Dumbledore said quietly, looking at him with soft eyes. "Please."

"Avada Kedavra." Snape said, sending a light off his wand and onto Dumbledore.

The moment was in slow motion. I felt my knees weaken, and my mouth drop. My eyes began to water.

No.

I watched in terror as Dumbledore fell backwards to his death. This couldn't be happening. This must be a dream—it had to be.

The man immediately grabbed me and pushed me forward, leading me down the stairs. We walked fairly quickly, but my mind was gone. I looked over at Draco, who seemed broken beyond belief.

We walked through the Great Hall, as Bellatrix ran across the tables kicking the glasses and plates, filling the room with ear piercing shatters. She then screamed, and when I turned around, the window in front of the Great Hall shattered into pieces.

But my heart had already shattered into pieces. I couldn't stay here anymore. When nobody was looking, I broke out running. I couldn't stay there, with them, they were too horrible.

This was the night. The night Dumbledore lost his fight.