CHAPTER 6: Then

That summer went past like a dream. During the following month after the concert, Harry and I met up as often as we could, just the two us, whether it was after one of his concerts or at a local cafe. The first few weeks, every place we went was teeming with paparazzi. But after a while, the reporters and photographers had backed off, and I was relieved that my relationship with Harry was kept private.

I couldn’t explain it, but each time we talked, I felt our connection grow stronger. We could start a conversation from the silliest things, like how we both couldn’t roll our tongues, and joking around with him took no effort at all. I didn’t always feel the need to talk when I was with Harry, but when I did, he was always there to listen. Sometimes, we would just lie together on the grass, looking up at the clouds, and the silences weren’t awkward because our presence was enough to make us feel comfortable.

On other occasions, we’d go out with the other boys and their girlfriends, and I had gotten to know McKenli, Sarah, Maddie, and Bekah. I had even become closer friends with Jamie before she left for her promo tour in England. As the end of vacation approached, I felt reality slowly creeping back into my life. So it was only reasonable to spend the last day of summer at the happiest place on earth—Disneyland.

The cart rushed past on the tracks above us and screaming filled our ears. “Let’s go on that next!” Niall and McKenli yelled together. I looked up at the giant rollercoaster, with its corkscrews and heart-stopping turns, and then over at Harry who was staring at it, eyes wide with fear. I hooked my arm through his elbow and looked up at his pale face.

“I think Harry and I will go somewhere else instead,” I said, holding off a grin.

“Yeah, uh, we’ll meet up with you guys later,” Harry stammered. He swallowed and took his eyes off the rollercoaster to look at me. I gave him a reassuring smile.

As Louis, Niall, Zayn, and Liam headed off with their girlfriends to wait in line, I dragged Harry out of earshot of the screaming riders. As we left the area with the rollercoasters, Harry finally returned to his usual self and I laughed as I saw him relax.

“What?” he said, playfully nudging me. I punched his shoulder teasingly.

“You were so scared that you’d have to go on that rollercoaster.”

Harry laughed, pushing his curls out of his face. “I was.”

“So was I,” I admitted, smiling up at him. Harry put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close against him as we started walking down the pathway.

“So where are we off to?” I asked him.

“I have no idea,” Harry said, laughing.

We strolled down the lane, tourists passing us on both sides. The atmosphere was cheerful and the sun shined brightly in the clear, blue sky. Along the walkway were several small shops and booths. Employees dressed in various Disney costumes walked around, greeting the kids. We were walking behind a family with a mother who was trying desperately to hurry her five kids along. One of the boys kept tugging on his mom’s shirt and pointing towards the face-painting booth. The little girl in her stroller dropped her stuffed animal on the pavement, but the mom didn’t notice and continued pushing her daughter along.

“Hold on,” Harry said to me, lifting his arm from my shoulder. He jogged forward and picked up the kitty plushy, dusting off the dirt from it. I followed him and watched as he lightly tapped the mom on the shoulder, then bent down and carefully handed the stuffed animal back to the little girl in the stroller. The toddler giggled and hugged her stuffed animal tightly. She had a huge smile on her face and she reached out to pull one of Harry’s curls. I watched Harry laugh in response, his green eyes dazzling in the sun, as he looked over at me. I stepped in just in time to hear the mom thank Harry before she headed off with her children once more. I walked up to Harry and wrapped my arms around him, lightly kissing his cheek.