Chapter 13

*Marinette's POV*

Marinette stared at the ceiling, the fever felt worse every passing second. She just hoped Alya would arrive because being home alone with a fever definitely wasn't fun.  

If only Alya was here, Marinette thought. They could talk about Alya's Ladyblog, Marinette's terrible love life, and what happened at the Youtube convention.

Adrien was Chat Noir, a fact that Marinette still couldn't take in. After all, Chat Noir and Adrien's personalities were completely different.

How could she not recognize that they had the same voice? Was it because of the personality difference?

Realization came to Marinette. All this time, it was Adrien who was flirting with her!

Her thoughts got interrupted by the door opening. Phew, she thought, Alya's here.

*Adrien's POV*

Adrien opened the front door to the bakery, he didn't bother ringing because Marinette would have to come down to open the door.

Adrien looked around until he saw the ladder that led to Marinette's room. Adrien walked up the ladder to hear a voice, "Alya? Is that you?" Marinette asked.

Adrien was confused, Alya hadn't told Marinette that he was coming? Well, this would be a surprise.

Adrien was now in Marinette's room. "Hi, Marinette," he said with a grin, "Alya said I could come over,"

*Marinette's POV*

Marinette opened her eyes, to hear a voice in her dark room. "Hi, Marinette," The voice said. "Alya said I could come over." 

Alya didn't... Marinette thought, staring at the figure still in the darkness. Suddenly the light was on and there he was, Adrien.

I am going to kill Alya, Marinette thought. Her best friend had sent Adrien to take care of her, him of all people. 

Should I act like Ladybug or Marinette? Marinette thought, Actually nevermind, I act the same as both Ladybug and Marinette anyways.

"Marinette?" Adrien asked. "Yes, Adrien?" Marinette said, surprised she wasn't stuttering. "What should this cat do?" he asked, flexing his imaginary muscles.

Marinette found herself laughing slightly, "I have no idea," she said. "Maybe you could do something on my computer,"

"Alright, Princess. Will do," he said, suddenly noticing the pictures on her wall. "Princess? Why are there pictures of me on your wall?"

"Uh...designing inspiration?" Marinette said, her face turning slightly red.

Adrien raised a brow, but said nothing, and sat on a chair, turning on her computer. Out of the corner of her eye, Marinette saw something red flash across the screen.

Suddenly Marinette heard a familiar noise and saw the screen. Twenty hours worth of cat noises was the video's name.

"Adrien!" Marinette said, annoyed.

Adrien spun around on the chair, with an innocent look on his face. "What?" he said, raising his hands in the air. "You did say that I could do something on your computer,"

Marinette was laughing, then a question came to her mind. "What's with you and cats anyways?" 

*Adrien's POV*

"What's with you and cats anyways?" Marinette asked him. That question was one Adrien did not want to answer.

"Uh... Princess?" He said, changing the topic. "I should probably check your temperature." He grabbed the thermometer and just as Marinette was about to say something, he stuck it in her mouth. He moved to sit at the edge of her bed that was closest to her.

It was kind of awkward, really. Marinette was trying to talk and Adrien was shooting her a look saying, Quiet.

Adrien's mind flashed back to the question that Marinette asked. That question had really hit a nerve, that question reminded him of a time with his mother.

Adrien's mind went back to his Princess, and he pulled the thermometer out of her mouth. "101 Fahrenheit (38.3 Celsius)," he said. "I guess your fever is dying down."

"Adrien?" Marinette asked, worried. "Yes, Princess?" Adrien asked, hoping she wouldn't ask him that question again.

"What's wrong?" She asked him. Adrien sighed, "That question reminded me of my mother,"

"Oh," Marinette said, already knowing what had happened to his mother. 

"I'll tell you what happened," Adrien said, suddenly seeing Marinette smile. It was probably because of him opening up to her.

"Most of it happened when I was seven," Adrien began. "My mom and I had found a stray black cat who had been injured and so we took it home." He paused.

"Go on," Marinette said, wanting to hear more.

"It took a month for my mom to get it healthy again, and to get it healed. She decided to keep the cat in my home for a few more days." He said. "But then, one day, the cat had snuck into the room where my father worked and ruined a few of his designs."

Marinette's face went pale, knowing what would happen.

"So then," Adrien continued. "My father threw the cat out. My mother begged him not to, but he still did, right in front of me."

Marinette had a tear go down her cheek, and Adrien stopped. "Do you want me to stop?" he asked, worried. Marinette shook her head in a no.

"Alright then," He said, softly. "So then, when my father was gone, my mother took the cat and gave him to one of her friends. She told me that 'No matter what life throws at you, no matter the danger, it's always right to do something right.' "

He looked at Marinette worriedly and continued. "Last year," he said. "When she was in the hospital, she said that again, and in her last moments..." Tears came up in his eyes.

"...she gave me a black stuffed cat that she had made herself, with green eyes. When I asked why it had green eyes, she said that it was so I remembered that she would always be there for me." 

A tear came down his cheek and the rest was followed by an unbroken stream. Marinette came over to the edge of the bed he was sitting on and hugged him. 

"It's alright, Adrien," She cooed, her face also streaked with tears. "I-I just wish she was still here," Adrien sobbed.

"I'm here for you," Marinette said, letting go of him. "And I always will be." 

Adrien smiled. "Thank you," he said, hugging her back, "You're such a great friend, Marinette. I don't know what I could do without you."