Chapter 16

"May I talk to Sapphire, please, alone," Lapis asked.

Ruby nodded. "I'll go get her. If she doesn't want to talk to you, I'll tell you. But, I doubt it," Ruby informed. 

She walked into the sanctuary. Sapphire was already standing at the door, her hair droopy and wet.  Her eyes widened, realizing she must've been one of the gems who was splashed down with water. Her wet hair and her frown said it all. Sapphire crossed her arms. She had a frown, a you-better-have-a-good-explanation type of frown. 

"Ruby," Sapphire coldly said.

"S-Sapphire. Is something wrong," Ruby nervously smiled, tilting her head. 

"Actually something is wrong," Sapphire said, walking closer to Ruby. "Splashing water all over the gem citizens at the warp center without warning or consent, including me. You're lucky you and Lapis didn't get caught, or that no one got hurt."

Ruby was surprised by Sapphire's calmness. It scared her in a way, but not in the bad way, per say. 

"I'm sorry about that. If I knew you were there, I would've never agreed to have Lapis do it," she sighed. "Speaking of Lapis, she wants to talk to you, alone."  

"Lapis?" Sapphire inhaled, heavily. "What does she want to talk to me about," she asked.

Ruby shrugged. "She didn't tell me."

Sapphire walked to the door.
"She wants to speak with me, alone?"

Ruby nodded. 

Sapphire hesitantly opened the door and Lapis was standing outside. Lapis noticed Sapphire. She kept her eyes on Sapphire.

"Sapphire," Lapis said, her arms crossed.

"Lapis Lazuli, is something wrong?" Sapphire asked.

Lapis kneeled down so she was at Sapphire's height. 

"Is there something wrong, is what I should be asking you. Every time I come over or talk to Ruby, you look at me as if you dislike me and it's starting to bother me. From the way Ruby talks about you, you seem like a really nice person. If you dislike me, I'd gladly fix the problem. Not in a fighting way, though. Let's just talk," Lapis smiled gently. 

A guilty feeling rose inside Sapphire. She had misjudged Lapis and she knew it.

"Honestly, I may have misjudged you. You don't seem bad at all. I was just...jealous...and scared? I can't really explain as my future vision doesn't work well anymore. Anyways, I was just scared that Ruby would be more interested in you making her shut me out, I--" Sapphire was interrupted by none other than Lapis.

"Hold on, you feel that way about me and Ruby, but have you ever thought about how Ruby feels about you and Jasper?" Lapis asked, concern clear in her voice.

Sapphire was silent for a moment, thinking of what to say. For once, she felt as if she made a bad decision despite not knowing what bad decision she has made. 

"I-I've never...thought about how she felt. I was just...always thinking about myself," Sapphire mumbled.

"Exactly. Oh, by the way, you don't have anything to be jealous of," Lapis informed. 

"B-but, it was so easy for Ruby to warm up to you while she acted so shy and awkward around me. It took me a while to get as close to her as I am now and yet I still feel distant from her. Although, for you, it was so easy to start a conversation with her. She wasn't acting shy nor did she mumble. She liked you. Just like that. I'm scared...that she might like you more...and lose interest in me," Sapphire finished.

Lapis couldn't help but burst out laughing. Sapphire was confused on why she was laughing. She took a step back, finding Lapis's actions weird.

"You don't have to worry about her losing interest in you, Sapphire. I'm telling you, she adores you!" Lapis exclaimed in between giggles.

Sapphire's eye widened and her face started turning a dark blue. 

"H-how do you know?" Sapphire questioned.

Lapis pressed down two fingers on her temple as her laughing calmed down.

"Okay, well let's start off with the way she looks at you. If you ask her if she likes you, she's going to lie to you. Whether it's terribly lying to you or actually lying to you pretty well, she's going to lie," Lapis began, her giggling finally starting to die down. 

"Her eyes," Sapphire says.

"What?"

"Her eyes say everything. My future vision may not be working well, but you were going to say that, weren't you? I know because I always look into those, big..beautiful...brown eyes...what were we talking about?" Sapphire asked, snapping out her daze.

Lapis let out another snorted laugh, though it was a lot shorter. 

"Okay, second, I can't ever get her to shut up about you. Today, it was all, Sapphire, Sapphire, Sapphire," Lapis paused to giggle. "You're lucky, you know. Ruby is great, she'll treat you right. One last thing, you don't have to worry about me gaining an interest in Ruby, either. Believe me, I won't be in another relationship for a long time," Lapis sighed, exhaustedly. 

Sapphire smiled, "thank you for talking to me Lapis." 

"Anytime, and hey. If you and Ruby ever get into a relationship, and you guys get into an argument or break up, you know who to come to. I'll resolve it all," Lapis winked and flew away.

Sapphire nodded and walked back inside. 

"So, how'd it go?" Ruby asked.

"I think we are going to get along pretty well,"  Sapphire assumed. She took a seat next to her.

Ruby smiled, "good. Again, I'm sorry for splashing water on you."

"Don't worry about it. It's not that big of a deal," Sapphire reassured. 

"Are you sure? You seemed...pretty upset," she said. 

Sapphire sighed, shaking her head. She put a hand on Ruby's, which Ruby was now comfortable with since Sapphire did it almost daily.

"It's okay, Ruby. You know, you worry a lot. Is it a natural thing?" Sapphire questioned.

"Yeah, it is. I overly worry about small or big things. When I worry, I start to panic and sweat. I never think about how to calm myself down. I overreact a lot, really. Mostly, I get mad...like, really mad. Sometimes, I get too worried, or too happy, or sad...yeah, I guess you could say it's natural," Ruby shrugged.

"Funny. I barely react to things. It's like we are polar opposites. Well, sometimes I panic and worry. Most of the time, I feel like I have no emotion. That is...before you came into my life. My life used to be so boring and every day was the same old thing. I knew exactly how my life would start and how it would end until you came. Everything changed," Sapphire admitted. 

Ruby's eyes widened. "M-my life is the same way! Well, sort of. Every day was the same thing. Training for the moment you become a servant the rest of your life. Running missions for the Diamonds. Forced to volunteer for things you didn't want to do. It's all the same. It's funny how that one person enters your life and suddenly, everything changes," Ruby said, laughing.

"I'm glad I've gotten to know you, Ruby. You made my life a whole lot better and interesting," Sapphire placed an arm around Ruby's shoulder. 

She stared at her for a bit before resting her head down on Sapphire's shoulder. Sapphire's smile widened along with her blush. She ran her fingers through Ruby's thick hair, relaxing both of them. Ruby smiled.

"Me too."