Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

************************************

"Hey, Evelyn?" Cary's (my stepmom) voice echoes up the stairs.

"Yes?" I yell back.

"Can you help bring in the rest of the boxes? There's just a few more."

I jump off the mattress in my soon-to-be bedroom and hop down the stairs. "Yeah, sure."

I walk out of my family's new house and into the chilly air. I pull the string of my hoodie to tighten it around my neck.

I want my old room back...

Sunshine would pour through my window in my old beach themed room. With the waves just down the road I was able to go down there with my friends. Collecting seashells, tanning, surfing....

I get knocked out of my daydream when I hear my dad calling my name. I snap out of my trance and look up. Dad is standing by the back of the U-Haul truck with a cardboard box in his hand.

He signals his head for me to come over there. I jog over and take the box labeled Evelyn from his hands.

I grunt and fumble with the extremely heavy box.

My dad lets out a gasp,"Careful not to drop it." He laughs and looks inside the truck. "I can get the rest later."

I nod with a grin, tucking my light brown hair behind my ear.

"So, what do you think of the new house?" He asks, grinning ear to ear, like always.

He puts his arm around me and gives me a side hug. "I like it! I just love freezing my fingers and toes off."

Do note the sarcasm.

"It's not too bad!" He exclaims, gazing at the new blue house. "Okay, yeah I guess I do agree with you. We'll get used to it though!" He chuckles and pats my back for me to get going, then leans into the truck to get more boxes. Once I get inside I notice my little sister Maddie sitting on the floor with a frown.

"Hey Mads! You okay?" I go up and ask her.

"No! I miss the old house and my friends!" She pouts and scatters off.

I sigh as I watch her march away. She's only 6, I understand. I miss my friends too, and she hasn't ever moved before!

I bring the box up to my room. Then gladly set it down, relieved I don't have to hold the heavy thing anymore. But I don't think it can be that heavy! I look to my spaghetti-like arms. I really should work out more.

Kneeling next to the box, I rip it open. The tape makes a screeching sound as it comes off the cardboard. Inside are picture frames, my digital clock, posters, my curtain for the window... etc.

I grab my iPhone and plug in my portable speaker. "Classic" by MKTO blasts on. It's one of my favorite songs, I listen to it as I unpack the box.

I love going through my pictures and setting everything up on the walls. It starts to feel more and more homey as I decorate the room with my stuff. When I finish I turn around slowly in a 360 to see the whole thing. It looks good! I put my hands on my hips as I admire my work.

The walls are blue and the carpet is white. I have pictures of my friends that I scattered across the walls. 2 posters are on the back of my door. One of Ariana Grande and one of Ed Sheeran. I love them both.

My soft bed cover is blue with black spots on it here and there. I have lots of fuzzy pillows on it. Beside the bed is a wooden light brown night stand. On it is my digital clock and lamp. The white curtains fall delicately against the window. I have a view of the front yard. I watch as the empty U-Haul drives away, leaving a trail of smoke.