Chapter 4 - The Horror Of Eden

"Just who the hell does she think she is?" Cobalt huffed, as we walked through the forest. "Obviously she thinks she's sooooo badass just because she's blind... Anime character try-hard....." Sylvia mumbled. "Anyways, you're a member of Eden?" Cobalt sighed, looking over at me. I nodded silently. "Yeah, but that doesn't mean that I'm a cruel person." I said. "I still remember fragments from my training back when I was a child. It was hell, but it ensured strength." I said. "I know this is an odd question, but why aren't you a devoted mercenary?" Sylvia asked. "I knew what the clan was after, and I didn't believe the lies that they burned into our minds as children, because I had witnessed the darkness firsthand." I said, as I narrowed my eyes. "It was 13 years ago, when I had just turned seven." I said, as I stopped walking, and sat down. Cobalt and Sylvia sat down as well. "My mother, who was anti-Eden, would sometimes let me take a walk through the forest that surrounded our village. One day, 3 days after I had reached seven years of life, I walked farther, and reached a grassy plateau that stretched as far as the eye could see. I came across a weary traveler, who was indeed old, but he was a very kindhearted man." I said, closing my eyes.

"Whoa! I never expected a plateau to be beyond the forest!" I said with a large grin of excitement. 'Wait... Who's that?' I thought, as I saw an old man, who appeared to be a traveler. "Uh... Excuse me, mister? Why are you carrying that large rucksack?" I ran over to him. "Oh? Why hello there." He said kindly. "I am simply a traveler. Nothing more, nothing less." He smiled. "Is it heavy?" I asked. "Indeed, but I've grown used to its weight, so it isn't a burden." He said.

"He was a very friendly old man, and he was always near the plateau, so I'd always share with him the lunch that my mother gave me for my walks. My mom ended up packing twice as much food." I smiled. "He'd tell me stories of the places he's seen and visited, and we'd often take a walk around the forest... He told me his name, which was Reverend, but I'd always call him gramps." I laughed.

"Say, Gramps?" I asked, as I took a bite out of my sandwich. "Yes, Wisteria?" He replied. "Where'd you get that mask?" I asked again, pointing to the mask that was on his backpack. It hadn't been there the day before. "Oh, this old thing?" He asked, taking it off of his bag. "It's so pretty!" I said. "You can keep it if you'd like, as a gift for keeping an old man such as myself company." He chuckled. "Thank you!" I said, smiling.

"He gave me this mask, and it's been my treasure ever since

"He gave me this mask, and it's been my treasure ever since." I said, picking up my mask. "It's a very beautiful mask, that's for sure." Sylvia said, looking at it closely. "I've never seen a mask like that." Cobalt said, as he took a look as well. "Yes, it is. It's of unknown origin, because Reverend never told me where he found it." I said. "Back to my story..." I said. "His storytelling didn't last very long after, though... Because he..." I said, talking a deep breath. "My dad, who was one of the very skilled mercenaries... Found and killed him." I said. "My father just left Reverend's body where it was. And that's how I witnessed Eden's horror firsthand. And when my father passed away, I would visit it in secret, and create sharp vines to stab the ground." I said, clenching my fist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOOOOO SADNESS

ANYWAYS!

Heya peeps! How's it going? It's me, WaffleCake!

I'm really glad that you guys are enjoying the story so far!

I've been putting a lot of effort into this book, and I'm really happy that it's getting good reviews! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!! 💕

Well, I hope to see you all in the next chapter! Bye!~ o(^^)o