Chapter 17

" Come in."

My dad walked in and didn't bother closing the door. His face was shaven and he was wearing a baggy wrinkled shirt with a pair of athletic pants. It's the best I've seen him in who knows how long.

I sat down on my bed and sat straight cautiously. I held my phone and pretended to be interested in my phone. I saw a text from Daniel and opened it.

Daniel: Went out with Veronica. Text me if you need me.

" Can I sit?" my dad asked.

I looked up, shocked to hear his voice was clear and even. I nodded and went back to my phone.

Me: Dads awake and he shaved! I'll send you a picture.

I thought and decided to send another message.

Me: Not drunk or angry. In decent mood.

" So I wanted to talk about last night."

I bit the inside of my cheek and continued looking down at my phone.

Daniel: Really?! Should I come?

Me: No. Tell Veronica I say hi.

" Ashley. I'm sorry. I've just been so angry ever since your-"

He took a breath and I looked at him. There were unshed years glistening in his eyes and I actually pitied him a bit.

" Ever since your mom left. You and Daniel remind me so much of him. And I know I hit you. I remember every single time. I just hate that I've done it. I want to kill myself because of it. You two deserve a better life. A better father."

I sighed and sat my phone down.

" Look. You are trying. We all miss her. And don't speak like that. You don't deserve to kill yourself because of that. And last night was not cool. I still don't forgive you. You told me you wanted to kill me and Daniel. I will never forget that. I hate that I have to be cautious in my own house and can't live a normal life because I'm so damn scared of my dad. I fucking hate that."

Now I had tears in my eyes but I didn't dare let them fall.

" I have one question."

I raised an eyebrow and waited for him to ask.

" Why haven't you or Daniel turn me in?"

I sighed and looked down.

" Daniel wants to. But I love you dad. You are the only parent I have left."

A soft knock on my bedroom door made my dad and I jump and I turned to see Tyler standing in my doorway with a towel wrapped loosely around his waist and trickles of water on his body.

" Sorry," Tyler said not sounding to sorry at all.

He looked at me with a questioning look.

" Dad. You remember Tyler."

My dad nodded and got up.

" Nice seeing you Tyler," he said reaching out his hand.

Tyler took it and gave a firm handshake.

" You too sir."

My dad nodded and headed to the door.

" Well we'll finish talking later. I love you Ashley."

I gave him a slight smile and he left, closing the door behind him. Tyler locked it and looked at me.

" He touch you?"