Chapter 12

" So let's play twenty one questions," Tyler suggested.

He was sprawled out on his bed and I sat across from him, cross legged.

" Alright. You start."

" Ok. What's your favorite color?"

" Grey. Whys your favorite song?"

" Don't have one. What's your favorite candy?"

" Sweet tarts. What's your favorite number?"

" 24. What's your best memory?"

I thought and smiled.

" When me, my mom, dad, and Daniel were eating breakfast together. Pancakes and bacon, to the crisp, how I like it. We were all laughing and having a good time together."

I smiled at the memory then quickly snapped out of it. Those were the old days. Days I'm not even sure really happened. Seems like a different life.

" Whats your favorite kind of gum?"

He looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

" Spearmint. Why did your mom walk out?"

I froze and bit my bottom lip.

" I don't know. How many girls have you taken to our.. That place?"

I saw a smile tugging at the corner of his lips but he pushed it away.

" None. What's your favorite memory of your mom?"

" Taking me sledding for the first time when I was seven. Why did you talk to me in detention?"

He didn't hesitate answering.

" Because you are cute and I wanted you to be mine. Why do you hate your mom?"

I groaned.

" I don't hate her. Why do you keep asking about my mom?"

" Because I want to get to know you. Why do you dislike your mom?"

" You know me enough. And because she left my family and made my dad become an abusive drunk and fucked up my life and made Daniel have to stay and take care of me while he could have went to college, gotten a degree, have a wife and kids."

I looked at him with hard eyes and he sighed, his eyes softening.

" You want to find her?"

" No."

My chest was starting to ache with the thought of my mom in my mind. Tyler motioned for me to come into his arms and I shook my head.

" Stop being stubborn," Tyler said as he pulled me into him.

I faced the opposite direction of him and he wrapped his arms around me.

" You can drop the act Ashley. I'm here to talk."

I took deep breaths and waited until I knew my voice was steady.

" I don't need to talk."

He sighed and his warm breath tickled me, sending goosebumps through my body. Tyler rubbed my arms and I pulled away, crossing my arms over my chest.

" Why do you have to be like this?"

" Why did you have to bring up my mom?"

He stopped rubbing my arms and he turned me so I was facing him.

" I. Care. About. You."

He looked deep into my blue eyes and I become lost in his green eyes. I took a deep breath, searching his face.