“My brother isn’t an imbecile!” Maia snapped, tilting her chin up.

“Do you even know what an imbecile is?”

“Yes,” Maia frowned slightly, crossing her arms over her chest. “It sounds like a reptile. My brother isn’t a reptile.”

Paige’s laughter was cut short by the hard pinch I gave to her arm. She yelped in pain and rubbed the spot on her arm that I pinched. “Evan was right. You are abusive.”

“Whatever,” I huffed, rolling my eyes. “I just want to get this project done and over with.”

The reason I wanted to finish the project so eagerly was clear and obvious. I didn’t want to deal with Noah. It was easier the way it was. Although I did work in his home, he managed to ignore me as much as possible. It was almost as if I didn’t exist or I was invisible in his eyes.

Usually, those ignored would be flustered and angry at the fact that they were a nobody to somebody. However, I was thankful. It was easier to be around a quiet Noah than it was to be around a talking Noah who was cynical towards anything social.

“You do know they’re playing pool at The Pit, right?” Maia asked, inspecting the purple manicure I gave her earlier. “Noah told me he’s going to be home late. Sucks for you two.”

Paige looked at her in disbelief, her eyebrows drawn together in irritation. “And you only told us this now after we’ve waited for them for over an hour?”

“You didn’t ask,” Maia responded with a shrug of her tiny shoulders. Twitching at the corner of her lips was an amused smiled. “They always go to The Pit on Friday nights.”

“I guess that means one thing. We go crash their little rendezvous and haul their asses back here because I’m not about to do all the dirty work for that egoistical son of a bi – female dog.”

“Ooh!” Maia pointed her finger accusingly at Paige. “She said a bad word!”

“Whatever.” Paige rolled her eyes. She got up from the floor, grabbing her purse from the couch. She then looked at me with her eyebrows knitted together again. “Well, are you coming?”

▼▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

The Pit was Beaufort’s local restaurant and recreation center. Specializing in home styled burgers, fresh lemonade, to-die-for meatloaf, and warm baked cookies, The Pit was also a legendary hang out spot for teenagers after school and during the weekends.

Beaufort was a small town – big enough that a few of the population were strangers, but small enough that there wasn’t much to do. When the mall got boring, teens would head over to The Pit to play darts, Pool, Foosball, Air Hockey, or simply to socialize with each other over cookies.

“Maia!” I cried when she hopped out of the car right when it pulled into the parking space. I rushed outside, ignoring the freezing air that bit at my skin, and grabbed her tiny hand. I pulled her pink beanie over her head. “Don’t walk away from me. You can’t get lost.”

Maia rolled her big brown eyes, her exhale visible in the cold air. “Don’t be such a wuss. I’m old enough.”

Gripping the end of my scarf in irritation while she stomped off, I quickly followed behind her. I swear, the Callaway’s’ knew the exact buttons to push when it came to pissing me off. Noah and Maia were more alike than any siblings I was aware of. They both had the same freaking attitude and they both annoyed me simultaneously – it was as if they planned this all along.

“When I see that egoistical Campbell, I will shred his designer t-shirts into pieces,” Paige announced, walking fiercely beside me with fists at her sides.