Chapter Five

The following week, Natheriya was getting more nervous than she had ever been. Everyone was helping her prepare for the ceremony of eating a raw stallion heart. Her diet consisted of everything to help her, such as dried horse meat.

It was the night of the ceremony and she was waiting as Atia finished braiding her hair. "I am not ready for this ceremony," she softly said.

Atia finished braiding her hair and walked in front of her Khaleesi and friend. "Just take deep breaths, Nath. You are strong and your child will be too," she said.

Natheriya hugged her friend tightly and smiled. The two pulled away and turned to the entrance when Dany walked into the tent. "Natheriya, it is time," her sister said. Natheriya gave her a nod and began to walk out of the tent.

Her nerves were getting worse. She could feel herself shake in fear of not being able to eat the horse heart without vomiting. Natheriya needed to have a strong son who's a warrior like his father. Even though she would be fine with either a boy or girl, she knew it was important to Drogo. He wanted a strong son who would be a fierce Khal.

Nath walked closer and closer to where the ceremony will be commencing. She took a deep breath in and calmed her nerves. Dany noticed and took her sister's hand in her own, squeezing it gently to reassure her. Natheriya looked at her and gave a grateful smile.

The two sisters walked into the crowded area where the Dosh Khaleen were standing around a platform in a circle. Nath walked up and stood on the platform as a woman began speaking. Khal Drogo then brought the stallion heart, which he cut out himself, to his wife.

Nath waited for her cue before she began to eat the raw heart. It was tough and she could feel her teeth aching as she chewed. She tried hard not to gag at the texture, the taste of the raw organ. Natheriya steeled herself, begging her body to keep it down. Blood gushed out and dripped down her chin and down her chest. She felt warmth fill her heart as she looked into Drogo's eyes.

He was worried as he watched his short wife eat the stallion heart. Drogo wanted her to be able to keep it down. Not because he wanted to have a son, but because he wanted to prove how strong his foreign wife is. He watched her carefully as she continued to tear the heart with her teeth.

Natheriya looked down at the heart in her hands quickly. She noticed how she was so close to finishing and looked back up at her husband. A small smirk was forming on Drogo's lips. He felt pride growing in his chest.

Nath took a deep breath before chewing the last of the raw heart. She swallowed and felt as if she was going to puke, but her body didn't fail her. Cheers filled her ears as Khal Drogo rushed forward and picked his wife up. He walked around the podium with her in his arms, his bloodriders cheering loudly for them.

--------

After the ceremony ended and the couple made love in front of everyone, a feast began. Dothraki music filled Natheryia's ears as she spoke with her sister and handmaidens. She caught her Khal looking at her with hungry eyes, which made her blush a deep red. She turned her eyes away and continued to laugh with her sister and friends.

"Your son will mount the world, Natheriya. How do you feel?" Atia whispered to her friend. The others were talking to their lovers from the Khalasar.

Dany leaned in to hear her sister's response. "I do not know. Scared, a little. Everyone will want to kill him for the glory of destroying the 'Stallion Who Will Mount the World'," Natheriya said softly.

Dany put a hand on her sister's arm in reassurance. She was worried for her sister and Natheriya's unborn child. Dany knew the possibilities of what could happen; she wasn't naïve in that regard.