17. Magic and Knights

"You're the owner of that palace, aren't you." The girl in the mage robe shot out a very dangerous question. I saw her picked up her pace and closed our distances from behind. The girl is about 13 in age with white hair similar to mine. Secured under her right sleeve is a magic wand covered with crystal beads, ready for action anytime. Her piercing ice cold silver eyes are watching me.

"What?" I feigned ignorance.

"I've been inside the palace before, and the room you teleported us into look similar." She explained without changing her expression, "and those spirits obeyed you while calling you their queen."

...now that I think about it, that was quite an oversight on my part. You know what? Let's just admit it. This is getting annoying. "Yeah, that's right."

The girl went silent with a blank expression. "I didn't expect you to answer so readily," she said.

"You'll just keep bothering me until I admit it anyway. Might as well get it over with, right?"

"True," a thin smile crept up on her face. "Then, do you know what that monster was?" She shot out another dangerous question. How should I answer this one...

"Have you ever heard of the Queen of Decay?"

Her face scrunch up as if trying to recall something, "um... she's that one traitorous goddess, right?"

Hahaha, so she's a traitor huh? That's fine. I've decided to stay as Reika, and completely ignore anything about the Queen of Decay.

"Yeah, that's her. She's back." I tiptoed around the question.

She looked back forward with her hand on her chin. "Are the gods waking up?" she mumbled softly. Let's ignore this sudden plot point and change the topic.

"Your name is Annie, right?" I guessed.

She blinked at me for a second, "Allie. It's Allie."

Oh shit. "Ahaha, sorry. I'm bad with names." I awkwardly tried to explain myself while scratching the back of my head. "You can use magic, right? Can you teach me?" I hastily changed the topic again.

She stared at me blankly. She's not very expressive. "You can't use magic?"

"If you're talking about those teleportation thing; it's the power of the palace, not mine." I quickly made clear of the situation before she could ask questions.

"I see. That explain the lack of mana." She mumbled softly again. The wand under her sleeve smoothly slid out from its holster into her palm. "Observe," she commanded as she raises the wand up. 

The delicious mana inside her quickly flowed into the wand and the crystal beads on it lit up red. A small fireball about the size of her fist shot out at high speed from the tip of her wand. The fireball kept going in a perfect straight line at a constant speed without being dragged by the air friction. It's slow and easy to dodge. The ball finally struck a tree in the distance, leaving a scorch mark on the bark.

"That's Ember, the most simple magic even a meathead can use." She handed me her wand, "try."

"Uh... how?" I asked while staring at her. By staring I meant I exaggeratedly directed my face at her.

"Direct your mana into the crystal, picture the spell you want, release. Simple." Allie said with the unchanging blank expression she always has.

"Come on, Allie! Not everybody can suddenly control their mana, silly!" Bella chimed in from behind us. She quickly positioned herself between Allie and I. "Don't worry if you can't do it. Controlling your mana flow is really difficult and take months of rigorous training." She said while brightly smiling at me.