Chapter fifty two: Mother knows best

When a child is born, an unconditional love for their parents is planted within their minds. The type of love only child and parent can feel.  It's supposed to be unstoppable, the strongest love to have.

It's not that strong for me.

The bonds are broken between my parents and I.

The bonds are broken between child and parent.

Between father and daughter...

Brother and sister...

Mother and... daughter

There is no longer a string binding me to my parents. It started to fray when mother left. Then is began loosing strands as Blake adventured off onto earth and then finally, the last strand that was keeping me together, giving me hope eventually snapped once all my fathers lies had been revealed.

Nothing is holding me back anymore. My feelings for Luke were nothing but a fantasy. I was in love with the idea of being in love! I didn't want the commitment attached. After all, I was a human when these emotions started creeping in. Humans can be cold hearted creatures. Luke is one of them. He always will be...

I'm never going to be able to heal him, I don't want to heal him! He can rot in hell for all I care... it's his fault I'm here in the first place...

The daze and mist soon leave my mind, along with the green smoke surrounding my body. When I open my eyes, I see something that a reaper should be used to seeing. I saw something familiar.

I saw a corpse.

I've turned a human into a corpse in the past as it's my duty. Yet, seeing the corpse in front of me felt strange. In fact, it unsettled me. Almost as if I've never seen a dead body before...

But that's when my gaze turned to the corner of the room after hearing a high pitched chuckle. There my eyes once again met the pitch black orbs belonging to my nephew. I turn back to the corpse once more and recognise now who it is.

"Harriet" I gasp out, turning my glare to the child.

Blake places a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't Raven" he snarls out.

"Are you telling me that a child that evil has a right to live?" I say, looking at him with confusion.

"Of course he does, my grandson has a gift! Not a curse" I hear the horrid voice of Crowe speak as she steps out from another room.

"Gift" I snarl under my breath, using my last ounce of energy.

"Raven, don't even think about it" Blake growls at me, not looking me in the eye.

Coward.

"Yes a gift my sweet child. A rare gift as well. Who knew you could kill people without being a reaper? Who knew you could trap souls? I certainly didn't! But someone else did..." Crowe says, her voice growing lower at the end. She turned her head towards the door just as it flung open to reveal a certain grey eyed wizard.

Rayne.

"You knew my son had this curse?" Blake spluttered out, confusion glazing his eyes.

"Curse? Are you stupid? This is a power. An authority. What your son has is even more than a gift. He has been given strength. He can kill a god for heavens sake! Can you do that?" Rayne snarls, glaring at the both of us.

Letting out a dark chuckle, my dear brother returns the wizards glare, folding his arms over his broad chest.

"Do you even know what a reaper does Rayne? Reapers kill. Reapers deprive life. Can you do that?" Blake says, mocking the wizards previous words.

"I used to be able to" Rayne mutters under his breath, grabbing Blake's son, much to his distaste as he leaves the room.

"What did he mean by used to?" I ask Crowe, watching her mouth curve up into a smile.

"Rayne has a lot of dark secrets my dear. This one is merely the beginning of his tale. But I'll let him tell you when he's ready" Crowe says, holding back a laugh.

"You better bring my son back here" Blake growls out, thrashing his foot against the stone cold floor.

"Calm down my boy. If you cared so much about your son, you would've done a background check on the babysitter you hired. I mean, if your sister figured it out, why couldn't you?" Crowe says, sarcasm lacing every single word.

"I was in a rush" Blake says, before being interrupted.

"To save your sister? Blake sweetie. Your sister is weak, look her! Not once has she threatened to harm Rayne and I. She's allowed herself to feel. Didn't your father tell you how dangerous loving emotions are?" Crowe says, tutting at the two of us.

"You know nothing of what happened!" I spit out meekly, growing weaker after every word.

"Tired my dear daughter? Take a seat, you'll be here a while" Crowe says, laughing darkly.

Instead, I grab hold of my brothers shoulder for support, trying my best not to cave in.
Blake steadies me with an arm, glaring at Crowe.

"Are you proud of what you've done to your own daughter?" Blake says, shaking his head at the woman who birthed him.

"Oh gosh, you think I'm the one who made her weak? No no no my son. That was all made possible by that little immortal. Or should I say, stupid mortal now since my dear daughter has discovered her dark side" Crowe says, looking me up and down.

"It's revolting how you treat you children" Blake snarls, looking away and focusing on steadying my balance.

"It can't be revolting if my own flesh and blood doesn't even acknowledge me as the person who gave them life" She says in fake sadness, mocking the two of us.

"As far as I'm concerned, you didn't give us a life worth living" I say under my breath, causing Blake to let out a small grin at my comment.

"Just remember my dear Raven. Mother knows best, and I always will!"