Chapter thirty four: Gaurdian of the underworld

My father has never kept things secret from me. Never. It was a code we both abided to. We always told each other news and secrets. It built up a wall of trust between the two of us. But now, that wall is shattered, crushed and has crumbled all the way to the ground.
Peering up at my mother, I fold my arms over my chest.

"So are we playing cat and mouse all day then?" I ask, gesturing towards the green mist surrounding Leo and I.

"We don't have to play anything my dear! Surely you trust me now? You realise I'm the person you need on your side against your father!" Crowe exclaims, once again clapping her hands together.
Rolling my eyes, I briskly shake my head.

"No that would never work. Besides, I'd never go against my father" I say in an serious tone.

"But I thought-"

"You thought I'd come running into your arms playing 'happy families' with you and that wizard boyfriend of yours?
I'm sorry Crowe but you need to remove those rose tinted glasses of yours and come back to reality.
I appreciate what you have told me but just because I don't trust my father doesn't mean I'll turn on him. I'm not like you and I never will be" I snarl at her in agitation.

Crowe clenches her fists together as she glares at me with her mossy green eyes.
"You my child are far too complicated to handle. Now I'm afraid that your chances are up. You're coming with me and so is hell boy over here" she says, pointing her sharp nail at Leo. I can't help but snicker at her comment.

"Won't you have to get rid of this smoke that stops my powers in order for me to come with you?" I say, kicking my scythe in the air and catching it in one hand.
I peer back up at the woman in front of me, daring her to fire back.

"That's the beauty of my smoke Raven. It can teleport you to any place I want it to" she says.
My face drops as she says this.
If she's managed to create a spell powerful enough to block my powers than there's a way for her to twist this war around.
Someone is already working against me so it's possible that the gods that are my current allies could switch into my enemies.
Smirking, Crowe lifts her hand in the air and swiftly swirls it around.
However, nothing happens. Nothing changed.
Looking back up towards Crowe, I notice a figure behind her and immediately, I know who it is.

"Crowe" the figure says from behind her, causing her to turn around to face the figure and scowl.

"You" she says, snarling at the person in front of her. I tilt my head to the side in amusement, watching the little exchange.
Realisation washes over Leo's face as he too recognises who the figure is.

"Why don't you get rid of this little fog and this encounter can be over and done with" the figure says, stepping out of the shadows.
The light rays reveal his appearance to all of us.
A long wooden stick was in one hand. His other hand was gripping the rim of his hooded robe, pulling it backwards to reveal his face.
He still didn't look a day over thirty, still as good looking as ever.
Everyone thought the gate keeper to the underworld was an ugly old man. In fact, he is the opposite.
He's good looking and strong. However, that robe always hides this from the people he guides to the underworld.
River Styx was standing before us. A small smirk made its way onto my face as I watched a strand of his chocolate brown locks fall across his face.
His pale red eyes scan Crowe from top to bottom, observing every inch of her face.

"Don't you know it's rude to stare" Crowe hisses, forming a glowing green fire ball in her palm, brandishing it at Styx.
Sighing, Styx tuts, bashing his wooden stick down to the ground, dispersing the green mist.
Leo immediately holds two ruby fire balls in each Palm, aiming at Crowe whereas I point my scythe directly at her.

"You were once beautiful Crowe. The greed that feeds on your soul destroyed your beauty long ago" Styx says, causing Crowe's face to grow red in anger.

"I still am. Be careful who you talk to Charon. I'm the future leader of the underworld" Crowe says, causing Styx to erupt in a roar of laughter.

"No ones called me Charon in decades. You were always the funny one Crowe. Being the future God of death, now that is hilarious!" Styx says, allowing his laughter to erupt once more.
Wiping the sweat off his forehead, his facial expressions become as cold as stone. His eyes began to glow a vibrant purple, the complete opposite to his pale red eyes earlier.
"Leave Crowe before you get hurt. You know you're outmatched. Don't make me bring Thanatos here" he says, referring to my father.

"You may have won the battle but you will not win the war!" Crowe seethes, disappearing in a puff of green smoke.

"Styx, so good to see you" Leo chimes in, walking towards the gatekeeper.

"My is that you Leonardo? You've changed my boy. I bet Lucifer is proud" he says, patting Leo on the back.

"Dad has his moments" Leo says, shrugging.
Styx turns to me.

"Raven, you have grown to become a fine young lady and a beautiful one at that" he says, smiling at me.
I nod in approval.

"I haven't seen you since I was young" I say, referring to our last encounter.

"You're still as serious as ever I see. Well, I better bring you home. Thanatos will have my head otherwise" he says, chuckling to himself.

Thanatos. I haven't heard that name in quite a while. Everyone calls my father 'death' or 'the grim reaper'.
Thanatos is my fathers true name. It reveals his dark nature, just how my name does.
But right now is no time to be thinking about my fathers name. Right now it's time to pry out some information of my dark origins.